Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum caliber for all of N.American game?

Feedback Score

Minimum caliber for all of N.American game?

I know nothing of hunting calibers etc. With that said, basically what would be the most cost effective, lightest recoiling round to hunt all of N.American game. The reason I ask is because I can't afford 5 different hunting rifles for 5 different things etc. "The guy" @ my local gun shop said 30-06 because of the many loads there are for it. Someone else said 270 would suffice with proper shot placement for "big" game, and another guy said 7mm. I have researched all of them and the 7mm seems to be the one more hunters would go with but I've even heard guys say that the 7mm is too small for Grizzly, or Moose.... I was recommended 375 H&H as well but it recoils way too much. I have never hunted big game and it's something I want to get into.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JediMindTricks; 12-11-08 at 18:19.
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I killed my elk cleanly at roughly 200 yards with a 30-06 out of a 16" barrel. A .270 with a longer barrel should certainly be enough gun with the right bullet. .300 win mag would be another option. I have zero experience with 7mm mag...but others seem to be happy with it.

Bigger than those and you start flirting with overkill...plus you'll generally have to ditch the "Wal-Mart rule" of ammo availability.

Feedback Score
    Id say .308

30-06 will be overkill on some game, like FL deer etc

.308 should do well overall IMO
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Are you realistically going to hunt moose and coastal grizzly? Give us a percentage probability so we can recommend accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Are you realistically going to hunt moose and coastal grizzly? Give us a percentage probability so we can recommend accordingly.
    Oh yes. Not right away. The only game that I've hunted has been rabbit, squirrel, duck. I have never hunted deer, or hogs so that's where I will start. From there I will branch out to other game as my experience and comfort increases. Eventually I would love to be trekking through Western Canada, or Alaska. It wouldn't be for a while, but I'll get around to it eventually. 75% + depending on how much I enjoy hunting/cleaning big game.
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    I would say 30-06, I have a .270 A-bolt and a 30-06 BAR. The 30-06 is much more versatile and recoil is much less than my .270 because it is not a bolt. I have taken small and medium game with both. I have read many places that the 30-06 can take just about any game in north america with the right round, although personally, for large game I would prob step up to something like 300 win mag.

Feedback Score
    I've taken just about all the big game species that N. America has to offer with a 30-06. Recently moved to the .270 Win. with the purchase of the new Sako A7. With a buddy last month that took a nice bull moose with his .270. It's all about bullet placement and distances. Most of our shots up here in N. Idaho are under 250 yrds.
    "With reasonable men I will reason; With humane men I will plead; But with tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost." William Lloyd Garrison.

Feedback Score
    If you want something a little different, try a Remington 280. It is my favorite all around cartridge. Little more ump than the "06, flatter shooter, seems to have a little less recoil as well. Downside is the factory ammo availability, although every year it seems to get better.

Feedback Score
    I've heard 308 recommended mostly. Ballistics-wise, isn't the difference btw 308 and 30-06 negligible? I'd consider 308 for bolt action, since I already have another 308 rifle. I wouldn't want an additional caliber if I could avoid it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Definitely moose and grizzly. Ok 300 Win Mag as a minimum.

30-06 could probably do it, but maybe not ideally suited to heavy game like grizzly.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast