Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum caliber for all of N.American game?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    30-06 could probably do it, but maybe not ideally suited to heavy game like grizzly.
    Yeah the moose and grizzly requirement changes the game. Any larger than .300 win mag and he's going to have to compromise his requirements about recoil etc...

I'm sure I COULD take a Grizzly with a 30-06, but I'd definitely want the Guide beside me pointing something like a .416 Rigby at it just in case.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Yeah the moose and grizzly requirement changes the game. Any larger than .300 win mag and he's going to have to compromise his requirements about recoil etc...

I'm sure I COULD take a Grizzly with a 30-06, but I'd definitely want the Guide beside me pointing something like a .416 Rigby at it just in case.
    If you have enough money you can make a .300 Win Mag that feels like a .243. My brother has one but he paid well over $1000 for the comp. work if I remember correctly.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just get a fitty cal.

Feedback Score
    What ranges will you hunt at and do you reload? If range isn't excessive and you reload, look into something like a .338-06 or a .35 Whelen.

Feedback Score
    Just get a fitty cal.
    When I was in Alaska an A-10 pilot decided to go moose hunting with a 30 mm. From what I'm told it was pretty impressive, not much left of the moose. A hunter happened to see him do it, go his numbers and the (rightly) had charges pressed against him and was kicked out.

I'd consider 30-06, .308, .270 or 7mm Rem Mag with preference to the 30-06. They all have manageable recoil and can take most game humanely. Larger calibers have much higher amounts of recoil for very little gain for most game, they also go through barrels faster, use more powder if you reload, shorter barrel life, and less pleasurable to shoot.

For general North American hunting you are hard pressed to do better than a 30-06. The range of ammunition and bullets available is outstanding, from 110 grain bullets for varmint shooting to 220 grain bullets for heavier game.

You do not *NEED* a 300 WM for moose at <= 250 yards, I'm from Fairbanks and have seen plenty taken with 30-06 or 308. Shot placement and bullet construction are far more important. There are valid reasons to use magnums but what tends to happen is a genius that fires their rifle once or twice a year goes moose hunting, doesn't hit the vitals and decides the solution to their problem is a larger caliber.

.308 is great, especially for target shooting but I'd pass and choose 30-06 for a firearm meant for hunting, it is 150-200 FPS faster, and can use heavier bullets and that can make a difference, especially for larger game.

30-06 is fine for deer, use 150 grain medium constructed bullets, premium heavy bullets can be overkill. Black Bears can typically be taken with the same ammunition as deer.

The Big Bears *CAN* be taken with something like a 30-06 with well placed shot but I'd go for something like a 338 Win Mag. If you don't live in Alaska and plan on hunting Browns / Grizzlies the tag / guide price will make a new rifle seem like nothing anyway.

Bow hunters take grizzlies all the time, they are big and mean but not invulnerable, the last one in my family was at less than 30 yards with a 65 lb draw.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles_game.htm
    Last edited by shadowalker; 12-12-08 at 10:09.

Feedback Score
    30-06 is a simple choice. Deer, elk, caribou etc... I know guys that shoot .308 on Elk quite a bit. Though a 300 win mag would be better on the larger stuff. I'd go with two rifles like .243 for deer, antelope etc... and a 300 Win Mag for everything else like caribou elk etc... 375 H&H? Sure if your going to hang out with brown bear and polar bears exclusively with side trips to Africa for Cape Buffalo. Plus I cannot what it would cost to shoot the thing without reloading. This is all hear say as I am not much of a big game hunter. I just live in Montana which you can hunt a variety of large and larger critters and have looked into rifle's myself.
    Last edited by User Name; 12-12-08 at 09:55.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .308 or .30-06 will do most anything you need in North America.

Remember, at one time the .30-30 was quite a hotrod (change to smokeless powder) and it has supposedly taken every game animal on this continent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know alot of guys in Alaska who hunt with the 270 and 308 for moose, caribou, sheep and goats although the 338 is pretty much the dominant cartridge here above the pan handle. Win Q3131 has quite a following out in the bush with the native folk (Rem 700's) along with 7.62 X 39 in Ruger mini 30's. Alot of game has fallen to these two rounds. I haven't heard of any stories on Q3131 terminal performance on bears though.

When you are ready to tackle more challenging game, your concious will tell you what you need. A few friends hunt bear with 300's and the 338 but I'm not really sold on those cartidges because they have had to take too many follow up shots. Personally, I'm comfortable with a 45-70 (handload), a 12 Ga or a .375 on up in bear territory. I haven't shot a bear yet, but if I had to, I want to anchor it quickly.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 12-12-08 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Just get a fitty cal.
    I just got the tracking number for my Barrett M99 CQ from Atlantic Firearms
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I would, based on experience, recommend the .30-06 for one reason, versatility. You can buy 150, 165, 180 and 220 gr factory loads at Wal Mart or any sporting goods/hardware store in the country. 150 gr is great for antelope and small deer, 165 and 180 gr will cover you up through Bull Elk and 220 gr is respectable for larger heavy boned animals.

As previously mentioned, Magnum rounds burn up barrels, money for ammo, and shoulders. I carry a 300 WSM more often than not while hunting big game, but that's because it's stainless and the weather usually sucks. My .30-06's are a joy to shoot and hunt with.

The '06 is not the best at anything, but it will do it all, also ammunition is plentiful and inexpensive when compared with most other rounds.

All of the above IMHO, of course.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast