Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum caliber for all of N.American game?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think you'll probably be able to afford two rifles if given enough time.

If you're not going up against Alaska grizzly, then a .30/06 will more than do the job, and has been for 102 years. As others have said, the wide selection of bullet types and loaded factory ammo would let you handle most anything.

If you're going up against a grizzly, depending on your location and distances involved...

A .45/70 Marlin 1895 lever action would fill the bill inside of 200 yards, or a .338 Win or one of the .375's would be fine for distances.

Realistically though, you could take the same animal with a .30/06 with proper bullet choice and shot placement.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score

Platform?

I will most likely be getting the 30-06 due to the majority of recommendations. Is there a particular platform that is considered the standard (Remington 700)? I am willing to spend up to $800 for a nice, quality rifle, but if I could spend less then this would be ideal. Besides the real money will be spent on the glass. Does savage make a good product? Their guns are very reasonably priced. Which should I look into, which should I stay away from?

Thanks
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTricks View Post
    I will most likely be getting the 30-06 due to the majority of recommendations. Is there a particular platform that is considered the standard (Remington 700)? I am willing to spend up to $800 for a nice, quality rifle, but if I could spend less then this would be ideal. Besides the real money will be spent on the glass. Does savage make a good product? Their guns are very reasonably priced. Which should I look into, which should I stay away from?

Thanks
    Remington 700 is probably the standard in American hunting rifles, and it's the base receiver for many precision rifles. For hunting, you may want to look into CZ, Tika/Sako, Browning A-Bolt.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Remington 700 is probably the standard in American hunting rifles, and it's the base receiver for many precision rifles. For hunting, you may want to look into CZ, Tika/Sako, Browning A-Bolt.
    Will the others you mentioned be in the same price point as the Remington? I have never heard of Sako/Tika? Are they Japanese, Swiss, Finnish?
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sako/Tikka are Finnish, and some of the finest bolt action hunting rifles ever made.

CZ is out of the Czech Republic and made some really nice bolt actions based on the Mauser 98 action.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Rem 700, and Winchester Model 70 (especially pre 1964 years of manufacture) are the gold standards. Browning A Bolt and new X Bolt are both excellent platforms also. All are in your price range.

Winchester rifles were discontinued for a few years and are now back. I don't have any experience with the new manufacture run, so I can't comment on the quality of the new for '08 models.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Sako/Tikka are Finnish, and some of the finest bolt action hunting rifles ever made.
    And the Tikka half of the equation presents great bargains.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    And the Tikka half of the equation presents great bargains.
    Would you be so kind as to recommend me a good 30-06 from them so that I can research?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTricks View Post
    Would you be so kind as to recommend me a good 30-06 from them so that I can research?
    Unless you're enamored with wood stocks on hunting guns, I think you'd love the T3 Lite or the T3 Lite Stainless. They are light, very accurate, nice triggers, smooth actions, available in a wide variety of calibers, and I'm not sure I can find a legitimate fault with them for the price.

Feedback Score
    A .338-06 or a 9.3X62 is the classy answer.

Shoot one load for everything.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast