Thread: AR anodizing...what is/isn't it? And am I screwed?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

AR anodizing...what is/isn't it? And am I screwed?

So...on assembling some fancy dancy alloy upper receiver (non 7075), I have to thermal-fit the barrel. I've done this at least 2 dozen times.

On this attempt, I use a heat gun and fit the barrel. I leave the barreled upper to sit and cool. Upon return to torque the barrel nut, much of the lovely black satin finish is now matte, powdery and gritty and is flaking off to the touch.

Previously, I have been told by more than 1 mfg that when messing with anything outside regular 7075, that anodizing can get tricky, and while the dye may not take as well, it's still hardened and corrosion resistant.

Can anyone confirm that? Or did I completely f**k something up on the thermal fit and compromise the upper?

Just trying to figure out my next play be it Cerakote, re-anodizing, or just driving on with a quick rattle can job.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 09-13-21 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    V7 2055?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    V7 2055?
    Negative; C405 I believe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hodge does tell you to thermal fit the barrel and "apply heat liberally." I would call them and ask.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Can you put up a picture? You said C405 but you didn't say it came from Hodge. It sounds almost like it was painted.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Can you put up a picture? You said C405 but you didn't say it came from Hodge. It sounds almost like it was painted.
    AFAIK Hodge is the only one making C405 uppers. But I'm not certain.

Feedback Score
    It is still hardened and corrosion resistant.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    So...on assembling some fancy dancy alloy upper receiver (non 7075), I have to thermal-fit the barrel. I've done this at least 2 dozen times.

On this attempt, I use a heat gun and fit the barrel. I leave the barreled upper to sit and cool. Upon return to torque the barrel nut, much of the lovely black satin finish is now matte, powdery and gritty and is flaking off to the touch.

Previously, I have been told by more than 1 mfg that when messing with anything outside regular 7075, that anodizing can get tricky, and while the dye may not take as well, it's still hardened and corrosion resistant.

Can anyone confirm that? Or did I completely f**k something up on the thermal fit and compromise the upper?

Just trying to figure out my next play be it Cerakote, re-anodizing, or just driving on with a quick rattle can job.

Where you hitting it with heat and guessing, or were you test fitting as you were doing it? It really sounds like you super torched it, then again, you could have a defective receiver.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB