Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 vs 7 shot .357's?

Feedback Score

6 vs 7 shot .357's?

Any issues with strength or is it all positives when a .357 is offered in both a 6 vs 7 shot?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How much revolver experience do you have? I am so used to six shooters if you stick a 7 shot in my hands I am going to eject a lot of live seventh rounds.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    If I recall correctly, S&W has claimed that the 7 shot revolver cylinder is actually able to withstand higher levels of stress than is the 6 shot revolver. While the cylinder walls of the 7 shot are thinner, the cylinder notches are offset and are no longer directly over the chamber. Apparently the presence of a notch right over a chamber is a significant stress riser, which kind of makes sense considering the sharp features on a notch

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Any issues with strength or is it all positives when a .357 is offered in both a 6 vs 7 shot?
    If the cylinder notch is in between chambers on the seven-shot, the cylinder will likely be stronger (look at the various five-shot big bores). Cylinder materiel and heat treat also play a part. I once owned a S&W 686+ (seven-shot) and fired many full-power .357 rounds with no issue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    How much revolver experience do you have? I am so used to six shooters if you stick a 7 shot in my hands I am going to eject a lot of live seventh rounds.
    Plenty!

Just never had a 7 shooter with same cylinder diameter as a 6 shooter. (S&W's, Gp100)

Feedback Score
    Looks like choices are a gp100, s&w 586 plus or 686 plus.

Any others? (No Taurus or other cheap quality brands)

Feedback Score
    nothing wrong with the 7 shots.

both are strong enough, in theory the 7 shot is stronger

I had Gunsmith Andy Horvath trim this 6" barrel to 5", add a weygand front sight base / Dawson fiber, and replace the 6 shot cylinder with a 7 shot.

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    It's no different than carrying a five shot j-frame when you have six shooters also. OR like having different semi-autos with different magazine capacity. You have to KNOW what you are carrying for the day. It's all part of your situational awareness.

I LOVE my no lock 686 plus.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have been jonesing for a 3 inch 7 shot 686. I want to get one and swap out the rear sight for fixed. Then I am going to carry it in a cross draw holster and yell at people "ya get killed walking your doggie!!!"
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember a while back there was a thread or video about one of the 7 shots having the case rims jamming into each other. I believe it was on the new 7 shot GP100. Might be something to look into before you buy a GP100.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast