Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 vs 7 shot .357's?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I remember a while back there was a thread or video about one of the 7 shots having the case rims jamming into each other. I believe it was on the new 7 shot GP100. Might be something to look into before you buy a GP100.
    I recall seeing that was an issue with certain brands of case IIRC.

While I wanted a 7 shot .357 to potentially carry, it seems like they are all too big and heavy.

So I'm considering a smaller 6 shot .357 like a K-frame or Colt King Cobra and mounting a micro optic on it.

I've seen some optic mounts that replace an adjustable rear sight. Unfortunately the rear sight of the King Cobra is fixed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On a S&W, a 7 shot may indeed be stronger than a 6 as previously described. On a Ruger I don't know if it is stronger but I don't think its weaker either.

Additionally, assuming the same or nearly the same outer cylinder diameter, the 7 shot would have less distance between chambers and therefore a shorter or easier DA trigger pull.

The titanium cylinders also can make for a lighter or easier DA trigger as you are moving less mass.

What would really be nice would be a cylinder core of lighter material and then the outer ring of the chambers itself being steel or titanium.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    7 shot is stronger in theory, which is saying something because nobody is claiming their 6-shot ever kaboomed with SAAMI spec ammo. I only own one .357: a 4" 686-4 7-shot. I've had about 2500 rounds since buying it used, most of them .357 and about half of the time it's full house 158 gr or 170 gr SWC. The gun has held up brilliantly.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I'm going to borrow a buddies GP100 4 inch, put some rounds through it, and then decide if I want to get back into .357.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like to keep things even...8 rounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    I like to keep things even...8 rounds.
    Nice. whats that thing weigh?

I had a 627 I think it's called. The stainless 8 shot .357 4inch. Probably should have kept it. Trigger wasn't great. Mainspring screw was loose when I got it and caused misfires. I tightened it up with a dab of loctite. Trigger was smooth enough but quite heavy. I shot it okay but not great. I think the frame might have been too big for me but then again I didn't try any other grips. I sold it after about 500 rds IIRC. Now that I reload I'd like to have it back. The moon clips were a pain but like I said, I'd try again now that I reload.

I borrowed a buddies new Gp100 .357 6 shot. It shot fine. Nothing wrong with it. Trigger not great, a little heavy. But it's brand new. Only had 158 gr and 180 gr factory ammo to try. I may offer to trade him something for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12