Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
AA2520 and IMR4064 are both reasonable choices, as are the 4895s. Any of them should give you good performance in the Garand without stressing the gas system.

2520, being a ball powder, might benefit from a mil or mag primer for more consistent ignition. It will probably also show more temperature variation than the stick powders, but it measures nicely.
Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
I think you should absolutely give them a try! Win LRP is a good primer and there's a decent chance it'll be fine with 2520 unless you're in really cold temps or something.

Load some, shoot them, and see what you see. If you notice a big spread in your velocities in a session, or if you get a few rounds into a nice group but have a couple of uncalled flyers, then go back and try a mag primer (if you can get ahold of some) and see if things tighten up.

But if they shoot consistently, then rock on
I have used both with success. For blamo ammo 2520 is good and accurate enough, just remember a basic/stock M1 is 3MOA or less depending on how it's stocked/setup. IMR4064 is a great 06/M1 powder also & I have loaded many rds using 150FMJ/155Nosler Match/168 Sierra/Nosler etc with great results. I pretty much use Winchester LRP in my M1s & even my 30/06 Precision rifle and I have had good results & they shoot on par with CCI BR/Federal Gold NM & CCI 34 Military primers out of my rifles, YMMV. If you're switching up ammo and loading many different bullets & powders then the adjustable gas plug is a viable addition, I'm pretty consistent in bullet weights and powder I use so I don't mess with them myself. Powders are tough to find now a day so use what ya got, I guess. I ended up scoring a fair amount of H4895 & I love it, I think it's the closest if not the original canister style/type powder that the Military used in 06 loads back in the day. IMR4895 is a good choice also and works great in 308. Let us know how ya make out & what ya end up coming up with.