Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AA2520 or IMR4064 for. 30-06 M1 Garand?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    AA2520 and IMR4064 are both reasonable choices, as are the 4895s. Any of them should give you good performance in the Garand without stressing the gas system.

2520, being a ball powder, might benefit from a mil or mag primer for more consistent ignition. It will probably also show more temperature variation than the stick powders, but it measures nicely.
    I think you should absolutely give them a try! Win LRP is a good primer and there's a decent chance it'll be fine with 2520 unless you're in really cold temps or something.

Load some, shoot them, and see what you see. If you notice a big spread in your velocities in a session, or if you get a few rounds into a nice group but have a couple of uncalled flyers, then go back and try a mag primer (if you can get ahold of some) and see if things tighten up.

But if they shoot consistently, then rock on
    I have used both with success. For blamo ammo 2520 is good and accurate enough, just remember a basic/stock M1 is 3MOA or less depending on how it's stocked/setup. IMR4064 is a great 06/M1 powder also & I have loaded many rds using 150FMJ/155Nosler Match/168 Sierra/Nosler etc with great results. I pretty much use Winchester LRP in my M1s & even my 30/06 Precision rifle and I have had good results & they shoot on par with CCI BR/Federal Gold NM & CCI 34 Military primers out of my rifles, YMMV. If you're switching up ammo and loading many different bullets & powders then the adjustable gas plug is a viable addition, I'm pretty consistent in bullet weights and powder I use so I don't mess with them myself. Powders are tough to find now a day so use what ya got, I guess. I ended up scoring a fair amount of H4895 & I love it, I think it's the closest if not the original canister style/type powder that the Military used in 06 loads back in the day. IMR4895 is a good choice also and works great in 308. Let us know how ya make out & what ya end up coming up with.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Whatever primer you land on, though, be ABSOLUTELY sure that they are all seated slightly below flush. This is critically important to prevent slam-fires and OOB discharges in the Garand.

Run your finger over the back of every case after you prime it...If you feel any primers sticking up, even a little bit, fix them immediately.
    I'm limited to Winchester LRPs due to today's climate.
    I was taught to check each primer to make sure it's below flush and I'll continue to do so. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks like I'm going with the AA2520 as my friend who helps me with reloading .30-06 has an extensive history with AA2520 in a Garand. And to load the brass and bullets I have, I'll need close to 4 lbs. My buddy says he can use some of it too.
    I'm not going to be competing with it, it's just for fun so I won't be chasing the best powder/primers/bullets/groups.
    In light of how things are, I'm happy to have found these components.

I appreciate all of your responses. I'll report back once I've done some shooting.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 09-15-21 at 02:00.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Looks like I'm going with the AA2520 as my friend who helps me with reloading .30-06 has an extensive history with AA2520 in a Garand. And to load the brass and bullets I have, I'll need close to 4 lbs. My buddy says he can use some of it too.
    I'm not going to be competing with it, it's just for fun so I won't be chasing the best powder/primers/bullets/groups.
    In light of how things are, I'm happy to have found these components.

I appreciate all of your responses. I'll report back once I've done some shooting.
    You will do well with 2520, it is fine for what you're doing plus it does load easy being a ball powder. There is a reason it was/is called Camp Perry powder; it was very popular with Service Rifle shooters. With everything else that's been suggested, if you don't have one yet I would suggest a Wilson case gauge, it helps you set up your sizing die for just the correct shoulder setback and checks the overall length so you can see if the case needs trimming. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016251573?pid=685086 Important for M1s and any Service rifle. Have fun and let's see some pic's when you are all done!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hornady has a downloadable manual where you pick up specific cartridge data for a buck or 2 each. One they have listed specifically is M1 Garand so that may be worth your time to download.

I don't have the Accurate PDF in front of me, but fairly sure they do a similar load data set.

Knew I had seen another M1 specific data set and it is Hodgdon. Hope some of this helps you track down an available combination.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-15-21 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm looking at the 11th edition of the Hornady online application right now. For M1 Garand the powders listed for 150 grain bullets are as follows: H335 - A2495 - A2550 - V N135 - Varget - H4895.

H335 and V N135 appear to give you the highest velocities.

Obviously this is only one manual from one bullet provider and there are other viable options.

4064 doesn't appear until 168gr bullets are used.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-15-21 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    You will do well with 2520, it is fine for what you're doing plus it does load easy being a ball powder. There is a reason it was/is called Camp Perry powder; it was very popular with Service Rifle shooters. With everything else that's been suggested, if you don't have one yet I would suggest a Wilson case gauge, it helps you set up your sizing die for just the correct shoulder setback and checks the overall length so you can see if the case needs trimming. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016251573?pid=685086 Important for M1s and any Service rifle. Have fun and let's see some pic's when you are all done!
    I appreciate that advice. After reading the service rifle section in the Sierra reloading book, I bought a RCBS Precision Mic https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing...n-mic/564.html to measure the headspace. That section was very informative. I plan on reading it again.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Hornady has a downloadable manual where you pick up specific cartridge data for a buck or 2 each. One they have listed specifically is M1 Garand so that may be worth your time to download.

I don't have the Accurate PDF in front of me, but fairly sure they do a similar load data set.

Knew I had seen another M1 specific data set and it is Hodgdon. Hope some of this helps you track down an available combination.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
    Thank you. I emailed Accurate about Garand specific loads for the AA2520, and they promptly replied with the Hornady load data. They said that they plan on doing their own testing for the Garand.
    Hodgdon does have a pdf available in their Reference Data under the Resources section with loads for the M1 Garand. https://hodgdon.com/resources/data-s...275.1631571378

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I'm looking at the 11th edition of the Hornady online application right now. For M1 Garand the powders listed for 150 grain bullets are as follows: H335 - A2495 - A2550 - V N135 - Varget - H4895.

H335 and V N135 appear to give you the highest velocities.

Obviously this is only one manual from one bullet provider and there are other viable options.

4064 doesn't appear until 168gr bullets are used.
    Thank you. My friend has one of the recent Hornady books and he says it has a Garand section so we'll take a good look at that.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just noticed that there is one lot # of A2520 that is under recall. Info here.

Please check your stock before proceeding. :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast