Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AA2520 or IMR4064 for. 30-06 M1 Garand?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I appreciate the info. I've already ordered more enbloc clips (25 per rifle should suffice, right?), a spring set, and an extra op rod spring from Orion 7. Gonna have to take a look at the bolt parts and springs. I have a firing pin and extractor in the cart already.

$650 for the Field Grade seems like a decent price for a shooter? Hopefully, some Service Grade Garands show up in the next 6 -12 months.
    Yea 25 enblocs is good, after all ya pic them up 99.9% of the time anyway so you should be good with that. Having an op-rod spring is good for sure,I forget is this a CMP rifle, one you have had for a while, or did you pick it up local? If it's a CMP then the spring should almost be new or like new and in spec & they last a long time, the Orion one will serve you well if needed. Having the extra bolt parts is nice but again these rifles last and were designed well but just like for your AR rifles, having extra parts is reassuring to say the least, no matter what role the rifle plays, nobody wants a broken rifle and wants to wait for spare parts to show up,LOL ! Yea CMP is hit or miss for sure, I think they still have a decent amount of rifles but they just need to go through them bring them into spec and make them ready for sale. Unfortunately, CMP could be in the same dilemma that everyone else is, no one whats to work and they all just want to sit home! Keep me posted, sounds like it's coming together nicely!

Feedback Score
    good old NRA data

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    good old NRA data

Great picture! Thanks for that info. Should probably back off 10% from that data and work up a little.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The John C. Garand Match is a lot of fun and low key at most gun clubs. I shot in a match at my gun club yesterday and it was great to see that many Garand shooters in one place. If you can find a match local to you, I think it's worth looking into. I think it's more fun than shooting a regular High Power Rifle Match.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'll check into the John C. Garand match. Thank you.

Loaded up some 150 gr SST with AA2520 in PMC once-fired brass. Started at 45 gr and worked up to 47.5 in 0.5 increments. Going to run it next week and chrono it too.
    I'm thinking 2650 to 2700 should be a good all-around round without beating up the gun? Any recommendations there?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'll check into the John C. Garand match. Thank you.

Loaded up some 150 gr SST with AA2520 in PMC once-fired brass. Started at 45 gr and worked up to 47.5 in 0.5 increments. Going to run it next week and chrono it too.
    I'm thinking 2650 to 2700 should be a good all-around round without beating up the gun? Any recommendations there?
    Sounds pretty reasonable! Way below MAX listed on the above loads of 51grn so see how she shoots and adjust from there. Those SSTs should shoot good! Let's see some groups.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 09-26-21 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Ran the different loads thru the Garand this weekend. The 46 gr load seems to be what I'm looking for; 2664 fps with a SD of 22. Nice soft shooting load. No pics of the target. I forgot. But, I managed to keep almost all rounds in the 5" bullseye once I adjusted the rear sight to hit POA. For iron sights and my eyeballs, I'll take it!

Going to load some more 46 gr loads to make sure that wasn't a fluke since the other loads had a SD twice that or worse.

Did I mention that I really like this rifle!?!
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-04-21 at 02:08.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I need some advice as I appear to be chasing my tail. When we chrono'd the first batch of loads, the 46.0 gr load of AA2520 was the standout at 2664 fps and a SD of 22 and an ES of 77. The next best was 47.0 at 2757 with a SD of 43 and an ES of 131.

I put together another batch to verify what we'd seen with the 46.0 load and added a 46.2 load for comparison.
    Shot those yesterday and the temperature was a good 15 degrees warmer than last time. The 46.0 load opened up to a SD of 52 and an ES of 153 and the average velocity was down a little at 2628.
    The 46.2 load ran at 2669 with a SD of 44 and an ES 139.

So, being new to this; I should be looking for accuracy first, right? Then followed by ES and then last SD?

Is the velocity about right at 2669 fps for non-match use and reliability? Or do I need to move closer to the 2740 fps Federal American Eagle runs with a 150 gr bullet?

I'm limited to a 100 yard range and with my eyes I'm good for a sub 8 inch group at 100 on a good day. So, I won't be shooting for groups at 300 yards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If your load does not fill or come close to completely filling the 30-06 case, you may see large ES and SD numbers. An accurate load within the published safe load range is your goal. Sometimes ES/SD numbers will be greater than you would expect, but accuracy is acceptable.

I have found that case fill is a significant factor when developing 30-06 loads. As an experiment, try tilting the muzzle up and shaking the rifle a bit before leveling the rifle and firing through the chronograph screens before each shot next time and see if that reduces the ES and SD numbers.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-17-21 at 07:33.
    Train 2 Win

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234