Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry revolver preference Blued Vs. Stainless?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the value of stainless is there for an every day carry gun that isn’t going to get babied. For an occasional carry piece, which is what revolvers are for me and probably most of us, I don’t think it matters since the gun can get wiped down. I will say that for me, I have had more finish issues on guns from improper storage conditions than daily carry.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    I ended up getting a new, stainless Colt King Cobra .357 3-inch.

I really like it! I guess I have about 300rds through it. Most of that .38 +p.

I've been carrying it and a Beretta Cheetah, which has been my main carry for nearly 7 yrs IIRC.

I've found the stainless Colt very easy to clean.

My Bruniton Cheetah has rust that I have to keep addressing on the top of the barrel and inside the slide by the muzzle. Florida.

I DO agree part of a "psychological stop" is, "How big is the opponent's gun?" Especially when dealing with, um, simple people.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-02-21 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    The only revolver I carry on a regular basis is a stainless 3” Colt King Cobra. I like not having to worry about corrosion or excessive holster wear, although I’m still searching for the right holster.

I think a 3” small/medium frame revolver in .357 Magnum is a good tool to have in the tool box of carry guns. For example if I have to fly anywhere near the east or west coast where a flight could be diverted to some gun control hell hole, if I carry a 6 shot .357 in my locked TSA approved case along with jacketed soft points the gun is legal just about anywhere and so is the ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry a Smith and Wesson BG38 that does not get treated kindly. On the average, I fire 300 rounds per month now that reloading components are scarce. It holds up well to rain, sweat, dirt, etc without rusting, because it's constructed of mostly aluminum alloy and plastics.

My current BG38 replaced a worn out BG38 in 2018. The only issue I've had with it is that the laser does not hold up well to rough service or after firing several thousand rounds.

Stainless is nice, but it's a bit heavy for carrying 12-14 hours a day. I also don't care for the glare off of a stainless finish when doing range work with a flashlight or dispatching a varmint at night.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-03-21 at 08:05.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am a big J-frame believer so I prefer the blued mainly because I like to paint the front sight with appliance paint and then paint over that with very bright orange paint. Otherwise I would prefer stainless just so it would be easier to clean.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I buy silver colored guns because there are easier to clean.

My BUG is a S&W 340sc it's a scandium j-frame finished in a silver color (most are black) but since its been pocket carried daily since 2005 the finish is destroyed.
    However it goes bang every time I pull the trigger so even though it looks horrible, its still my BUG.

If I had to carry a heavy revolver, I would pick stainless over blued every time.

Feedback Score
    I prefer stainless for carry due to Minnesota’s crazy swings in environmental conditions. Humidity, sweat, cold and condensation are too hard on a blued finish.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I want it all. A Stainless gun thats Blackened.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don’t even own a blued revolver. Don’t have any plans to get one either. If I did, it would never get touched. Any scratch or wear mark in a blued revolver is equated to fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Just can’t do it.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Stainless 100%. Ankle carried a 642 for many years, and the only rust I got was from the aftermarket grip screw.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast