Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK18 Clone question regarding lights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

MK18 Clone question regarding lights

I'm deciding how correct I want to go with this build.
    It seems like a lot of the lights used are woefully underpowered compared to today's competition.
    Which of the correct lights would be the best in this regard? Lumens, Candela, actual use, etc.

Thanks
    Last edited by KITTEN_FRENZY; 09-19-21 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    This really isn’t the forum for clone guns, ARFCOM is a better place for that. That said, since you’re debating accuracy if the clone, it depends what you’re looking for. I don’t know if any modlights being run but they have all the lumens. M300Cs are definitely in use and have more spill (IIRC) and better battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTEN_FRENZY View Post
    It seems like a lot of the lights used are woefully underpowered compared to today's competition.
    Which of the correct lights would be the best in this regard? Lumens, Candela, actual use, etc.

Thanks
    Do you really want to over pay for a weak light just because a bean counter decided on its purchase? Especially when a lot of them were swapped out for newer and brighter Surefire lights at team or individual levels.

Lumens and Candela are just measurements of light output, think metric vs standard…. They really don’t have much to do with the clone concept or functionality.

Are you building a clone to be perfect? Are you going to have it full auto with third pin? Correct actual lower? If not, go with a Surefire X600 and don’t worry about it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Do you really want to over pay for a weak light just because a bean counter decided on its purchase? Especially when a lot of them were swapped out for newer and brighter Surefire lights at team or individual levels.

Lumens and Candela are just measurements of light output, think metric vs standard…. They really don’t have much to do with the clone concept or functionality.

Are you building a clone to be perfect? Are you going to have it full auto with third pin? Correct actual lower? If not, go with a Surefire X600 and don’t worry about it.
    Thanks.
    That's what I'm on the fence about. I was trying to go as perfect as possible without sacrificing too much performance. If the performance deficit isn't worth the money, I'll just throw my PLHV2 on there. Seems like the clone correct ones can't hang.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Get a Surefire or Modlight, end of story.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks
    Here are the spec'd weaponlights for the Mk18s:

SureFire M962
    SureFire M952, M962
    Insight M3X (Tan)
    Insight WMX200 (Bronze)

As far as the MK18 and the appropriate light, it depends on which MK18 version. Most of the Mod 0s used the Surefires and Mod 1s used the Insights. That is not to say that the Mod 1s did not use the Surefires I mentioned as many did, but they also used some of the newer Surefires. For the most part, many of the accessories (optics and lights) were an individual operator's preference, but many were also unit specified.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All kinds of lights have shown up on the newer Mk18s.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Thanks.
    That's what I'm on the fence about. I was trying to go as perfect as possible without sacrificing too much performance. If the performance deficit isn't worth the money, I'll just throw my PLHV2 on there. Seems like the clone correct ones can't hang.
    That’s why clone guns are dumb. There are plenty of areas where non-clone equipment can out perform but the clone needs are paying stupid prices for “clone correct” shit that isn’t even that good.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s why clone guns are dumb. There are plenty of areas where non-clone equipment can out perform but the clone needs are paying stupid prices for “clone correct” shit that isn’t even that good.

Yeah, I feel like most cloners are borderline autistic.
    Based on my build, I will only be like 80% autistic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I feel like most cloners are borderline autistic.
    Based on my build, I will only be like 80% autistic.
    I tag most of my guns on IG as clonish. I don’t care about what grip screw was used, but what I do appreciate is the intent of the weapon, and I go from there. The exception is my M16a2 clone, it’s as basic as the one I carried.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast