Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawbacks to semi-auto bolt carriers?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Drawbacks to semi-auto bolt carriers?

Obviously, we all prefer the full auto version, but are there any reliability issues with using semi-auto bolt carriers? I've been looking for a LMT Enhanced Carrier and I have a line on a semi-auto one. I'm looking to continue with gas-to-the-eye mitigation by using an enhanced carrier with a heavier bolt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No probs in the LMT Ive been running for 13 years now. NOT ONE.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Why not just dial the gas down?

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I'm looking to continue with gas-to-the-eye mitigation by using an enhanced carrier with a heavier bolt.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Why not just dial the gas down?
    Gas is already dialed down a bit via GT being set up for 50/50 supp/unsupp. I'm running the Tubbs FW spring with an A5H3 after finding it has less dot movement than the other spring options. Several other threads have mentioned a Tubbs FW/A5H4/E-carrier combo to help keep gas out of the eye. Since the S/A E-carrier is in a rifle with a BRT 16" Opt barrel, which I believe is unneeded given how well you did on those 16" barrels, I'm going to try pairing the E-carrier with the Tubbs and A5H4 and see if it cuts the gas down a bit. I'd like to know if there are any mechanical reliability issues that a S/A carrier might induce before I start the experiment. I may also add the Radian CH specific to this application down the road.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Obviously, we all prefer the full auto version, but are there any reliability issues with using semi-auto bolt carriers? I've been looking for a LMT Enhanced Carrier and I have a line on a semi-auto one. I'm looking to continue with gas-to-the-eye mitigation by using an enhanced carrier with a heavier bolt.
    Not really though most of mine are "full". ARs are very simple, reliable, and waay over-exploited for profit and self-worth.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As long as it’s not a Colt type with the half circle back part and the cut out that exposes the firing pin, they’re fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    As long as it’s not a Colt type with the half circle back part and the cut out that exposes the firing pin, they’re fine.
    The carriers with the ramp cut to expose the firing pin are (as far as I know) a total no go when combined with an M16(large head) firing pin and old school AR-15 hammers that have the notch cut in them instead of the M16 rounded profile.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    The carriers with the ramp cut to expose the firing pin are (as far as I know) a total no go when combined with an M16(large head) firing pin and old school AR-15 hammers that have the notch cut in them instead of the M16 rounded profile.
    Thank you. Which particular notch are you referring to?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you. Which particular notch are you referring to?
    Far right on top(and bottom) are notched. Rarer and rarer to see them I think, but they are around.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/hammers/

Usually/by design) that hammer combined with M16 firing pins(that have larger retaining collars) will snag and lock the action up when used with the bolt carriers that have the ramp cut away exposing more of the firing pin.

Was a Colt thing that most everyone else copied till Colt ditched it 15? years ago roughly.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Far right on top(and bottom) are notched. Rarer and rarer to see them I think, but they are around.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/hammers/

Usually/by design) that hammer combined with M16 firing pins(that have larger retaining collars) will snag and lock the action up when used with the bolt carriers that have the ramp cut away exposing more of the firing pin.

Was a Colt thing that most everyone else copied till Colt ditched it 15? years ago roughly.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
    Much appreciated! I've heard of the notched hammer, but never needed to know what it was until now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast