Thread: SHOTGUN BREACHING ROUNDS

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

SHOTGUN BREACHING ROUNDS

What is your favorite SHOTGUN BREACHING ROUND and why? What do you use them on? Do you have a favorite for wooden doors vs a different round for metal gates?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You know, I'm really glad you asked this question, as I currently don't have any breaching rounds in my inventory and previously never thought about them much.

I'll be watching this for suggestions on what to buy. I don't do a lot of breaching, but can certainly see where they are good to have on hand, just in case.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    All of the Master Breaches I have worked with prefer not to use breaching rounds because they want the flexibility to use them on other "targets". A lot of the breaching rounds are a compressed zinc that basically turns into a power on contact with objects to prevent fragmentation. Those are not good when using them other targets.

Slugs work fine in most situations for wooded doors and locks from what I have seen.

Anyone else have input?

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    All of the Master Breaches I have worked with prefer not to use breaching rounds because they want the flexibility to use them on other "targets". A lot of the breaching rounds are a compressed zinc that basically turns into a power on contact with objects to prevent fragmentation. Those are not good when using them other targets.

Slugs work fine in most situations for wooded doors and locks from what I have seen.

Anyone else have input?
    Not a breacher anymore….those Hatton rounds were the tool for wooden frames to reduce risk, but any slug will do. I’m sure buck would work, also. Stubby pistol grip shotgun, just for doors. No stock. Carbine for other threats, although I’m sure a Hatton round would not feel good.

If I had to carry a shotgun for antipersonnel (dual use) I’d examine whatever quirks buckshot has for wooden frames with some mock-ups, and plan to use that, and slugs.

For metal frames, I’m using other tools…. mechanical or explosive.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not a breacher anymore….those Hatton rounds were the tool for wooden frames to reduce risk, but any slug will do. I’m sure buck would work, also. Stubby pistol grip shotgun, just for doors. No stock. Carbine for other threats, although I’m sure a Hatton round would not feel good.

If I had to carry a shotgun for antipersonnel (dual use) I’d examine whatever quirks buckshot has for wooden frames with some mock-ups, and plan to use that, and slugs.

For metal frames, I’m using other tools…. mechanical or explosive.
    That is the kind of info I was looking for. The Master Breachers I know also went to the duel use method and steered away from the Zinc rounds. As I agree that they probably do not feel good, but they were goimg more for NO MORE feeling.

I have not seen too many use buckshot, mostly slugs.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Super anecdotal but the one time I talked this with a CIF guy, he was almost violently opposed to multi-purpose rounds. Between breaching shottys being setup for that purpose (about as small as possible), they tried buck at one point and apparently the ricochet or maybe shrapnel tore through an assaulter’s leg in the stack. He said they’d all rather switch to pistol than use a breaching shotgun. But then they had almost an unlimited amount of pistol ammo to train with so that probably helped. Like I said, super anecdotal and this would’ve been pre-2010 so maybe completely irrelevant at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We used buckshot the few times we used a shotgun for breaching. Because that’s the only 12ga we could get supplied with. Iraq 03-04, no idea if breaching rounds are available now.

It worked fine on a hinge or taking a padlock off. Never tried a metal door, we used other options.

Outside of team work I have a hard time coming up with a use for it. If I’m breaching a door by myself, things have gone so sideways I doubt it matters what shells I have, or even if I only have a rifle.