Thread: best stock for offset red dot

Feedback Score

best stock for offset red dot

butt stock shapes, particularly in the toe, have changed over time, and it seems like mfg have somewhat herd-like movement. there are always trade offs, but one in particular is chapping my cheeks right now.

I believe the trend in stocks to have the toe short and relieved, notched, or otherwise curved back away from the shooter is intended to accommodate both the shape of normal peoples' chests and to reduce interference with body armor. As such, that's probably an improvement for some, and a good thing.

My latest rifle is a DDv7 Pro, and the DD stock is a good example of this.

When I shoot with the primary optic, in a 1.93 mount, I try to keep the gun as vertical as possible, with the stock under my chin, and the toe of the stock on the inboard side of my collar bone, not in the shoulder pocket. In this position, the factory DD stock feels fantastic.

However, when I rotate the gun to use the offset red dot, the toe of the stock rolls out about 30* and loses most of its purchase on my shoulder. I think if the toe was longer or not curved away, i'd still be able to 'shoulder' the rifle. as it is, i'm mostly controlling recoil with my neck, which is suboptimal imho. granted, i am 6'5" with a long neck, so when i have a firm chin weld on top of the stock, the toe is right on my collar bone, not down in my chest. Maybe people with shorter necks don't have this issue?

so my question is, is there a stock that does both well? that works straight up and also at a 30-45* angle?

my wish list would be a stock that allows 30-45* of rotation. imagine if you could shoulder the stock normally, and then when you rotate the rifle from one optic to the other, the stock would remain stationary while the receiver extension simply rotated inside the stock. obviously the stock would have to be molded so that the channel that prevents that rotation today is widened 30-45* and some detents added so it doesn't flop around. And of course, being left handed, i'd prob still be screwed because it would be another 5 years before they filled all the right hand orders and made a lefty rotating version... but it would still be cool i think

Gratuitous pic of gun:
    Last edited by taliv; 09-17-21 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    my wish list would be a stock that allows 30-45* of rotation. imagine if you could shoulder the stock normally, and then when you rotate the rifle from one optic to the other, the stock would remain stationary while the receiver extension simply rotated inside the stock. obviously the stock would have to be molded so that the channel that prevents that rotation today is widened 30-45* and some detents added so it doesn't flop around.
    Use spring force to center it for more consistent shouldering, but allow float in either direction for left or right hand roll?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Take a look at the below, it may be something you find interesting. I just got one to try out, and it feels very natural for my own uses.

https://arisakadefense.com/stock-angle-adapter-sl/#
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is what I meant, which may or may not be up your alley. A loose rotating stock has been kicked around previously, but it would require a remake of the buffer tube, as well as mounting system, never mind the loose stock having issues with retaining enough lock on the tube, not flop around with long term heavy use, and thats just the start.... Meanwhile, the below is just another option.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I’ve bought a fair amount of arisaka stuff lately. Maybe I’ll add that to the pile

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The LaRue RAT stock might appeal to you.