Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Torque Wrench Are You Using?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use a Sears bending beam torque wrench.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    A Snap-On 1/2” drive torque wrench leftover from my 30+ years of wrenching.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I don't get it. Could you draw a picture?
    This is taken from the manual. You will note the barrel nut wrench is inline with the toque wrench, not at 90 degrees (Item 15). The torque figures given in the manual include the added length of the barrel nut wrench

The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    CDI 1/2" drive.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-20-21 at 20:21.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    This is taken from the manual. You will note the barrel nut wrench is inline with the toque wrench, not at 90 degrees (Item 15). The torque figures given in the manual include the added length of the barrel nut wrench

Interesting...so what is the center-to-center length between the barrel nut and the torque wrench square drive on the "proper" barrel nut wrench? Need to know that to calculate the actual torque value. Partially explains why I've seen several different torque specs floating around.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post
    Interesting...so what is the center-to-center length between the barrel nut and the torque wrench square drive on the "proper" barrel nut wrench? Need to know that to calculate the actual torque value. Partially explains why I've seen several different torque specs floating around.
    If you have barrel nut wrench with the right length (I don't think anyone makes one the wrong length) you set the wrench inline with the torque wrench, set the torque to 30 ft/lbs and go. No calculations needed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post
    Interesting...so what is the center-to-center length between the barrel nut and the torque wrench square drive on the "proper" barrel nut wrench?
    I am fairly sure it is 2.0"

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you. Iraqgunz gave 30 to 80 as the range. So the actual torque range is higher than that? It looks like I need to know the length of the official torque wrench as well as the extension length to make the conversion?

https://www.terex.com/docs/libraries...techtip_53.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Hafa Adai! The torque range is from 30-80 ft./lbs. If you feel you need the wrench, set it at 30 ft./lbs and then torque until you hit it. Then mark where the barrel nut is at with a white paint pen. Then I would loosen the nut, remove the torque wrench and then slowly tighten again (I would work the threads several times) first.

Keep tightening until you hit the next spot where the nut will allow you to insert the gas tube. Then put it all together.
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-19-21 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    And remember to orient the barrel nut wrench/socket 90 degrees to the torque wrench.
    JFC. Not this BS again...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If I recall the difference is 5% according to a mechanical engineer. In short with the torque range, he said the difference is a moot point. Coupled with the accuracy of the tool, exactly where it's held and the lubricity of the parts.

Plus, this helps for task such as using the Magpul wrench with a torque wrench on the lock ring(castle nut)
    https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast