Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Torque Wrench Are You Using?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I always orient my torque wrench 90 degrees to the barrel nut tool. I haven’t had a barrel come loose yet.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I always orient my torque wrench 90 degrees to the barrel nut tool. I haven’t had a barrel come loose yet.
    Most companies that understand assembly and torque will spec the torque for the wrench being at 90 degrees to the installation tool.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    So recommended torque wrenches are the ones with the dial, not the click ones, right? As you can see, I'm very mechanically inclined.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a cobalt so-so torque wrench. But after building a few guns, you don't need the torque wrench unless you were beaten for coloring outside the lines.

Like Iraqgunz used to say... my torque wrench is my arm. (now if I'm working on a more fragile job (non 7000 series upper, and/or non steel barrel nut, i'll get the torque wrench out so I don't gall threads. For real guns, I don't bother.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    So recommended torque wrenches are the ones with the dial, not the click ones, right? As you can see, I'm very mechanically inclined.
    Either type will do, but I use the click type.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    It's such a wide torque range, it isn't really critical except at the very bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Most companies that understand assembly and torque will spec the torque for the wrench being at 90 degrees to the installation tool.
    Normal industry wide SOP is set the torque extender to 90 degrees to avoid the math, or calculate the correction. It's what I've advocated in the past for installing the barrel nut.

However, I've since learned the manual specifies the proper torque is with the correct barrel nut wrench set inline with the torque wrench and the added length is already figured into the torque range. If you have references to the contrary, please share. I don't want to be passing along incorrect data.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's such a wide torque range, it isn't really critical except at the very bottom.

Normal industry wide SOP is set the torque extender to 90 degrees to avoid the math, or calculate the correction. It's what I've advocated in the past for installing the barrel nut.

However, I've since learned the manual specifies the proper torque is with the correct barrel nut wrench set inline with the torque wrench and the added length is already figured into the torque range. If you have references to the contrary, please share. I don't want to be passing along incorrect data.
    I think you are passing along incorrect data but for the application we are talking about it probably makes zero difference. Sorta like throwing the deck chairs off of the Titanic slow the ships sink rate.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I think you are passing along incorrect data but for the application we are talking about it probably makes zero difference. Sorta like throwing the deck chairs off of the Titanic slow the ships sink rate.
    As usual, YOU are incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    As usual, YOU are incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct me.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Keep it afloat boys
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!