Thread: Time sensitive info request: Herters .223 brass in machinegun...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Time sensitive info request: Herters .223 brass in machinegun...

I'm wanting to go shoot my machinegun with friends this weekend.

The only ammo I could find recently was some Herters .223 brass cased 150rd value packs from cabelas. Purchased with my Cabelas card I was able to get 8 boxes.

The ammo does not appear polished like you would expect from commercial civilian ammo.

The neck shows obvious annealing and the cases are frankly a little dirty and not polished.

The headstamp is .223 Rem LC. I know that Lake City could possibly be indicated by LC, however I also know it could be something else for example I think there is a foreign ammo that has LC as well.

I have some previous Winchester white box 100rd value pack that appear identical and has the identical headstamp.

I am aware that Herters 9mm IS winchester 9mm.

Do we know who makes the herters .223 rem? I highly suspect is is alternate packaging winchester the same as with their 9mm.

I am aware that as of 2019 Winchester has been running the lake city plant. However I am not aware of any .223 being made at lake city just 5.56.

If this is shit ammo I don't want to run it in my transferable MG. If the brass is especially valuable I want to either use my brass catcher or not shoot it in the MG.

Like the one on the left

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.

TED
    Last edited by TED; 09-18-21 at 05:58. Reason: add pics

Feedback Score
    Lake city has produced .223 stamped ammo in the past.
    https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html

It says made in USA on the box, so it's probably lake city.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnabb100 View Post
    Lake city has produced .223 stamped ammo in the past.
    https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html

It says made in USA on the box, so it's probably lake city.
    Wow, I learn something new all the time. I really thought hat Lake city only ever made NATO spec stuff. Looking at the headstamp in the pic you sent it is the same as mine even though mine is Winchester and/or Herters. Very interesting.

Thank you for that.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BTW if this works the way I hope I might have the opportunity to teach a liberal the difference between a semi auto and full auto. You know how many people think everything is a machine gun. I have an app for that.

In my best Corcodile Dundee voice..."That's not a machinegun, this is a machinegun."

In my best GI Joe voice..."Now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

TED
    Last edited by TED; 09-18-21 at 06:03.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Herter’s has multiple manufacturers. They run contracts to have their ammunition made.

Sellier and Bellot, Lake City, Federal, Winchester.