Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner - What am I Missing?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Blade Runner - What am I Missing?

I think its safe to say that Blade Runner is regarded as one of the best SciFi films ever. I find it spectacularly underwhelming. What am I not seeing? Am I just too unsophisticated to appreciate the movie?

Andy

P.S. I am not disparaging the movie, I feel like I am missing a key element I should learn to watch for. Its like I'm walking around the Louvre, disappointed they don't have the painting of dogs playing poker.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-18-21 at 07:27.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know. I liked the movie... probably saw it twice. But never felt like it was extraordinary or anything.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think everyone just finds something different about it that they take away. I think Blade Runner is the template for the steampunk genre, RoboCop as well but not nearly as much.

The cinematography in Blade runner is also iconic, as well as the score. I'm really not into sci-fi, but I can see why this movie is so good. The replicants are also a really cool part of the film.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Once you come to the realization that Hollywood movies have one theme - gnostic self worship - you can’t unsee it. Tyrell, who lives in a pyramid, is the evil creator god who makes his creations suffer and be his slaves. Roy rebels - ala Lucifer - and tries to free his troop from the bad god. Etc.

Plenty of analyses available online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Once you come to the realization that Hollywood movies have one theme - gnostic self worship - you can’t unsee it. Tyrell, who lives in a pyramid, is the evil creator god who makes his creations suffer and be his slaves. Roy rebels - ala Lucifer - and tries to free his troop from the bad god. Etc.

Plenty of analyses available online.
    Very cool. I'm probably going into watch Blade Runner again tonight. TBH Cyberpunk the video game is definitely inspired by it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I enjoyed it as a kid and the dreariness of it is good to sleep to.

The more I learn about most actors/actresses, the less I enjoy watching much of anything. Their acting talent is wholly insufficient to make me forget what they are.

Feedback Score
    Blade Runner was ok. Best SciFi ever? Hardly. Not even close. You didn't miss anything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    Very cool. I'm probably going into watch Blade Runner again tonight. TBH Cyberpunk the video game is definitely inspired by it.

Watch “Bliss” and the first “The Matrix” back to back. Both posit an upside-down world in which we are duped into believing is real yet isn’t. In Bliss, Isabel represents the Sophia, or knowledge. In the Matrix that is Trinity. Gnostic heresy.

Feedback Score
    I see Blade Runner as a future look into how the human experience has evolved. Our society can’t stand the thought of slavery so humans make living versions of the themselves and somehow that doesn’t make slavery so bad. The visual aspects of the movie I found appealing. Not sure about best Sci-fi movie ever.

Feedback Score
    Ok, you gotta understand a little about Sci Fi fans. We've all read the books and we fill in all the holes that the film can't possibly cover. So as long as the film plays well and enhances our internal narrative of the book "it's freaking AWESOME!" according to a lot of the Sci Fi crowd.

Blade runner was a cinematic masterpiece from a film makers/critics perspective. So the film as art crowd was gaga for it, even if they generally eschew Sci Fi. That gave it a lot of credibility. P.K. Dick fans dig it cause it complements the book well. Others are just really excited that they made a Sci Fi movie that wasn't pure trash. Plus casting Daryl Hannah, Sean Young, and Joanna Cassidy certainly helped.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast