Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawbacks to semi-auto bolt carriers?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As posted. Avoid the Ramped carriers. The rear relief cut on the carrier isn't too big of a deal, but the ramped colt ones are not worth the trouble.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no mechanical function for the material removed on the modern semi carrier except to trip an auto sear.

The weight difference is minimal but the total reciprocating weight can be adjusted with the buffer.

As pointed out already, avoid the old “half moon” and “ramped” carriers and you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Usually/by design) that hammer combined with M16 firing pins(that have larger retaining collars) will snag and lock the action up when used with the bolt carriers that have the ramp cut away exposing more of the firing pin.

Not really that simple.

Colt did not 'design' it to ball up simply because someone stuck a large flange firing pin in there. Colt designed it the way they did (notched hammer and unshrouded firing pin) to prevent some bubba from attempting to get their rifle to fire more than a single round with a single pull of the trigger by disabling / modifying their disconnector to intentionally cause the hammer to 'follow' the carrier home.

Look at it like a disconnector fail safe...

You are also a bit off as to why Colt reduced the dia of the FP flange. That was done to blend the flange with the ramp in the carrier and smooth things out as the carrier was moving to the rear. Had nothing to do with clearance issues on properly functioning parts going forward.

If I want to stick an M16 FP in my Colt rifle with the semi-auto carrier I can and it will work but over time the FP flange will take a beating. That beating happens as the carrier moves to the rear and the flange is mostly what is cocking the hammer.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    What's the sizing difference between large diameter and small diameter flanged firings pins?

Does the LMT semi-auto E-carrier fit into the category of the firing pin cocking the hammer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    What's the sizing difference between large diameter and small diameter flanged firings pins?
    I measured .335" on a new BCM AR15 FP just now and .372 on a Colt M16 FP flange. (.373" on a random M16 FP pulled from a Toolcraft carrier)

That is a whopping .037" difference in dia between the two with the Colt M16 pin extending down .0185" lower than the BCM pin flange.

I can pull the Colt pin from my rifle and measure it but would be a waste of my time as I already know it will measure pretty much the same as the BCM AR15 pin. I also know that after thousands of rounds sent downrange in that particular Colt rifle that the pin and its flange are not beat to hell and in perfectly good working order. Those trigger parts, the semi-auto unshrouded carrier, and its firing pin will easily outlast the barrel so long as I do not attempt to dick around with my disconnector and make a bubba auto wannabe conversion.

If your trigger sear and disconnector are functioning properly (hammer being held back like it is supposed to be) that M16 flange being .0185" lower means nothing as far as the carrier going home is concerned.

Not 'exactly' the same as the parts we are discussing here but still a good visual to you understand how the sear holds the hammer back (and LOWER) than where any FP flange would be:

Look closely at the disconnector and its corresponding hook on the hammer in that picture and you may notice that (in a semi-auto config) if the disconnector was the part holding the hammer back that the hammer would actually sit / be held even lower and have more clearance between it and where the FP flange would be...

Colt M16 on top and somewhat recent Toolcraft M16 FP on bottom:

Personally I like the fit and finish on the Colt parts better than the stuff that came with my Toolcraft carriers. Was not too many years ago that Colt dumped barrels of those on the market for dirt cheap. At about a dollar each - THAT was the time to buy good parts cheap and stack deep and I did...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I measured .335" on a new BCM AR15 FP just now and .372 on a Colt M16 FP flange. (.373" on a random M16 FP pulled from a Toolcraft carrier)

That is a whopping .037" difference in dia between the two with the Colt M16 pin extending down .0185" lower than the BCM pin flange.

I can pull the Colt pin from my rifle and measure it but would be a waste of my time as I already know it will measure pretty much the same as the BCM AR15 pin. I also know that after thousands of rounds sent downrange in that particular Colt rifle that the pin and its flange are not beat to hell and in perfectly good working order. Those trigger parts, the semi-auto unshrouded carrier, and its firing pin will easily outlast the barrel so long as I do not attempt to dick around with my disconnector and make a bubba auto wannabe conversion.

If your trigger sear and disconnector are functioning properly (hammer being held back like it is supposed to be) that M16 flange being .0185" lower means nothing as far as the carrier going home is concerned.

Not 'exactly' the same as the parts we are discussing here but still a good visual to you understand how the sear holds the hammer back (and LOWER) than where any FP flange would be:

Look closely at the disconnector and its corresponding hook on the hammer in that picture and you may notice that (in a semi-auto config) if the disconnector was the part holding the hammer back that the hammer would actually sit / be held even lower and have more clearance between it and where the FP flange would be...

Colt M16 on top and somewhat recent Toolcraft M16 FP on bottom:

Personally I like the fit and finish on the Colt parts better than the stuff that came with my Toolcraft carriers. Was not too many years ago that Colt dumped barrels of those on the market for dirt cheap. At about a dollar each - THAT was the time to buy good parts cheap and stack deep and I did...

The small flange firing pin refers to the Colt semiauto firing pin used in the Colt bolt carriers of the 90s to early 2000s.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The small flange firing pin refers to the Colt semiauto firing pin used in the Colt bolt carriers of the 90s to early 2000s.
    I know.

What were your measurements on them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Does the LMT semi-auto E-carrier fit into the category of the firing pin cocking the hammer?
    No. All of this is old Colt weirdness and is completely irrelevant to anything on the market today.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    You guys rock. Thanks for dropping all this knowledge.

Feedback Score
    You guys rock. Thanks for dropping all this knowledge.
    I have some Dykem, a Colt rifle with the carrier we are discussing and all of the different firing pins.

Will dig out the rifle when I get a chance, paint some pin collars, do some cycling / dry firing and take some pictures for you.

Will be a bit as I am 'supposed' to be working on tax crap right now but pretty sure that should help you weed out the internet BS from the reality about the parts we are discussing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast