Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor PCC buffer and A5 extension

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Vltor PCC buffer and A5 extension

I have an aero epc set that I am currently building. Plan is to use the QC bolt and 10.5 barrel

Who here has experience with the Vltor A5 extension and their pcc A5 buffer?

I would like to know what baseline I should start with when using the Vltor A5 pcc setup.

Which weight buffer should I start with and can I use a sprinco green spring?

I would like to use their system since they are local and I have experience with the A5 on my carbines.

Feedback Score
    In a PCC build you are supposed to use their buffer in a regular carbine extension, not the A5 extension due to the difference in bolts/carriers. It may work in the A5 extension but you will want to make sure the overall length is legally compliant.

In terms of weight, I’m running the KAK extended heavy buffer which is 10 oz., the same as the A5H4 buffer. I would suggest starting with the A5H4 and swapping out weights to go lighter if needed.

Not sure about the green spring, a .308 carbine spring is the normal spring used. I tried a Sprinco red spring but switched to a Tubbs 42 coil flat spring - mostly because I am tuning for 147 grain loads and needed a spring with a little less force.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of the links for the vltor pcc buffer, it says it needs to be used in a A5 system

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    It may work in the A5 extension but you will want to make sure the overall length is legally compliant.
    What? Which law would that be?

Andy

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I used a Vltor A5 pistol tube with a A5H2 buffer and Sprinco Green Spring with a LAW folder and Tailhook Mod 1 under a BCM KINO. My thought was I didn't need a heavier buffer due the additional weight of the LAW folder carrier extention. Also, you will need an open end style wrench to tighten the castle nut.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-19-21 at 15:42.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a spare Vltor A5 extension that I can use for my PCC build.

Trying to decide which vltor pcc buffer I should start with first. Maybe their pcc h3?

Then can I use a sprinco green spring?

I get confused when people talk about a spacer. Is a spacer only needed when using a carbine extension?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/buffer...ers-stainless/

Stainless body A5 buffers from VLTOR!

This seems like the #1 choice now for a PCC buffer; stainless body, spring biased, sliding weights, excellent quality and reasonable price.

OP, This should be used with a standard CAR RE for 9mm use.

A 9mm spacer is only needed when using a standard CAR buffer in a CAR extension to shorten the stroke by .75".

The longer A5 buffer makes a spacer unnecessary when used with a CAR extension.

The A5SH3 (8.8oz) or A5SH2 (8.0oz) is probably a good place to start.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I ended up calling Vltor tech support to ask for their opinion and to make clear of some of the questions I had.

He educated me and advised me to use a carbine extension with a rifle spring since I plan to use QC10 bolt. Said he would recommend an A5 extension if I were to use a CMMG bolt since their bolts are longer compared to the QC10.

He also told me that he believes a sh1 should be where I should start so that’s what I bought. I low key feel that I should of started with a sh2, though. He stated that he himself has a 10mm pcc and is using the sh3 but thinks he’ll be stepping down to a sh2. him having a 10mm and feeling he should step down to sh2, is why he feels I should start with a sh1 because I’m doing a 9mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    What? Which law would that be?

Andy
    The 26” OAL for pistols.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    The 26” OAL for pistols.
    FWIW, Pistols can be any length. (I might have misunderstood you) The main "rules" are anything shorter than a 16" barrel, and any rifle shorter than 26" (regardless of barrel length) is an SBR and needs to be registered. Unless it has a pistol brace, and no verticle forgrip. Then it is a pistol. An AR pistol can be any length under 26".
    Last edited by Shiz; 02-10-22 at 13:56.
    “Do you know what happens when you slice a golf ball in half? Someone gets mad at you. I found this out the hard way.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast