Thread: Zero/Flight Ballistics of 10.3” .300 Blackout

Feedback Score

Zero/Flight Ballistics of 10.3” .300 Blackout

Hi everyone, I’m thinking my next AR build is going to be a 10.3” .300 Blackout. I’m thinking of going with the 10.3” Hanson profile from Ballistic Advantage. I love the fact that even out of a 10.3” barrel I would be getting amazing terminal ballistics down range compared to shorty 5.56 uppers. My question is this (and I’m sorry if it’s been beaten to death already)…. What would be the most effective zero distance for common SUPER sonic defensive ammunition grain weights out there? Like for example we all know that a 50 yard zero on a 16 inch 5.56 is pretty much point and shoot from 50-225 yards… what would be your effective “point and shoot” combat effective range without having to worry too much about holdovers with a 10.3 blackout shooting supers? I know it won’t be as flat as 5.56 I just wanna know how it will fly. I’m basically thinking of it as a .30 caliber shorty that carries more downrange energy I just wanna know the flight ballistics on such a setup. If anyone has any info/charts on this data that would be awesome! Thank you guys I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a1madrid; 09-19-21 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Here’s data for a 9” 300 BLK with Barnes 110 BlackTip @ 2150 FPS with a 200 yd. Zero.
    I run a RD so I don’t have a Strelok reticle view.
    The 300 does retain velocity better than 5.56 with shorter barrels, but its still a mortar. Also the Super projectiles have shit SD/BC.
    My 9” is a truck gun. Hits to 250 yds are doable with my eyes.
    Longer, precise hits require a different tool, or set up in my hands.

https://imgur.com/a/akQ5aCR
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are several free / online / purchase only calculators which will get you ballpark numbers. Some more robust than others.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like to use jbm ballistic calculator. It has a checkbox to determine your maximum point blank zero.

If you like the idea of a maximum point blank range zero it's worth checking out.

If you have a BDC reticle then refer to the manufacturers recommendation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ]

At the top of the pull down list Strelok+ has 1, 2, 3, 4, & 6moa dots for reticles.

Kinda odd, but being at the top made it hard for me to find at first. Forget where Strelok defaults to on a reticle 1st go around.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-19-21 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Here’s data for a 9” 300 BLK with Barnes 110 BlackTip @ 2150 FPS with a 200 yd. Zero.
    The 300 does retain velocity better than 5.56 with shorter barrels, but its still a mortar. Also the Super projectiles have shit SD/BC.
    My 9” is a truck gun. Hits to 250 yds are doable with my eyes.
    Longer, precise hits require a different tool, or set up in my hands.

https://imgur.com/a/akQ5aCR
    This good data man thank you. The reason why I’m curious is because on my 16 inch middy I’m running an older Vortex Viper PST 1-4. It’s a great optic but I might be putting something in that rifle that has more magnification but I’m thinking about moving the Viper 1-4 to a 10.3” blackout because I think it could actually get really good combat effective use on that setup from 0-250 which is where that optic REALLY excels in my experience on the 16 inch middy. Just experimenting with my ideas again thank you man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I like to use jbm ballistic calculator. It has a checkbox to determine your maximum point blank zero.

If you like the idea of a maximum point blank range zero it's worth checking out.

If you have a BDC reticle then refer to the manufacturers recommendation.

I’ve heard of JBM ballistics I’ll look into it thank you man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk