Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Toyota Tundra

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Another video with a small gap, I guess he slowed down too so he would not "destroy" him with his massive 75 foot lead.

Trying to compare motors from vehicles of different years, weights, gearing, transmissions, tires ,etc., self-dragging across sand/pavement is folly.

Sooner or later real numbers will be published and we will see a 21 Tundra vs 22 Tundra comparison. I just do not see a 389/479 HP/T motor replacing a 381/401 HP/T as much improvement.
    If you know anything about drag racing, 75 ' is pretty significant in a 1/4 mile span, especially when it comes to production cars. The bottom line is, which our part of the discussion is focused on, is the V6 turbo engine is plenty sufficient and is actually better performance wise. The mpg will be a lot better, which was what people were bitching about the 5.7L V8 to begin with. The hybrid version will be in another league.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    3.) Toyota tuned the truck to run on 87 Octane fuel to accommodate cheap ass bastards who will buy it and use cat piss for fuel instead of 91 Octane or higher. Got to cater to the cheapskates and dumb dumbs to avoid warranty claims, or complaints. I wish Toyota had tuned for 91 Octane because I like power, and know under light loads the ECU could pull boost to accommodate 87 Octane and reduce performance a bit. That said some idiot would fill the tank full of 87 Octane and try to tow a 10,000lb travel trailer up a mountain on a 99F day at 70MPH and get all the detonation possible, make a few adjustable connecting rods and new crank case “vents”; then blame Toyota because he can't read the gas cap or he's too cheap to spring for the better fuel.

Yes I have it listed in both good and bad sections..
    I feel ya. It would be nice to have a bunch of different tunes to select. Sport bikes have them. I get why Toyota does it though. Not all people can get the higher octane stuff. The same engine is in the LC and that thing is sold worldwide. Other countries gas is absolute garbage quality. Toyota always goes the conservative, dependable route and it has served them well. Look at Nissan/Infiniti...most cars are tuned for premium only...they are tanking as a whole. They just allowed Infiniti dealers to combine with Nissan dealers because things are that bad.

Feedback Score
    Usually I would expect the Land Cruiser to have the conservative power rating, but the V35A-FTS in the LC 300 makes 409hp @ 5200 RPM, and 479lb-ft of torque from 2000-3600 RPM. Not sure why Toyota de rated the engine for the Tundra other than not wanting to require 91 Octane. About the only place the LC 300 will be sold with the turbocharged gasoline engine is the Middle East and I guess they have cheap 91 Octane.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    If you know anything about drag racing, 75 ' is pretty significant in a 1/4 mile span
    75 feet is meaningless to determine engine performance between cars of different weights, gearing, transmissions, etc. Like racing my Hummer H1/Alpha Duramax vs a F250 PowerStroke. Tells you nothing about the engine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The biggest problem I see with the V6 is, it is already maxed out. The average Joe is not going to be able to get much more out of it. But with V8, that is just a starting point. Just dropping in a supercharger nets you another 30% HP. Add in some other mods, and you are easily mid 500s in HP/T.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    75 feet is meaningless to determine engine performance between cars of different weights, gearing, transmissions, etc. Like racing my Hummer H1/Alpha Duramax vs a F250 PowerStroke. Tells you nothing about the engine.
    It tells you about the vehicle and how it works together as a whole. The engine specs tell you about the engine. The V6 twin turbo makes more power earlier and longer over the curve along with better gas mileage...and if you know anything about turbo charged engines, that V6 isn't maxed out. It will take more work to modify, but far from maxed out. Remember, the other factor is mpg.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 09-21-21 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think if the fuel economy was that good they would have lead with that in the promo. Hey you get all this AND with this awesome fuel economy. Because they didn't I'm thinking it's not much of a difference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I feel ya. It would be nice to have a bunch of different tunes to select. Sport bikes have them. I get why Toyota does it though. Not all people can get the higher octane stuff. The same engine is in the LC and that thing is sold worldwide. Other countries gas is absolute garbage quality. Toyota always goes the conservative, dependable route and it has served them well. Look at Nissan/Infiniti...most cars are tuned for premium only...they are tanking as a whole. They just allowed Infiniti dealers to combine with Nissan dealers because things are that bad.
    I've seen Infiniti using BMW engines too! I know their little SUV crossover thing does

I'm the cheapskate who only uses 87. I don't see the point in paying more to go from point A to point B. Maybe it wears out the engine faster...I don't know.....but so far I've driven all of my Toyotas past 150k and a few past 250k without so much as a hiccup. Just regular preventative maintenance.

I've had other brands just never held onto them long enough.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 09-21-21 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The biggest problem I see with the V6 is, it is already maxed out. The average Joe is not going to be able to get much more out of it. But with V8, that is just a starting point. Just dropping in a supercharger nets you another 30% HP. Add in some other mods, and you are easily mid 500s in HP/T.
    I think the avg Joe is going to be fine with the V6 for the same reason the avg Joe isn't going to be dropping superchargers. They'll be vehicles to drive back and forth to work

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It tells you about the vehicle and how it works together as a whole.
    By your logic, my 21 LC and 21 Sequoia should run neck and neck as they have the same engine. But they do not run anywhere close to each other in a 1/4 mile. One weighs more, has better tires, etc. The drag comparison is meaningless to determine engine performance.

The V6 twin turbo makes more power earlier and longer over the curve
    Please post the curve. I have been looking for it but have not seen it.

The V6 will be adequate but it is barely an improvement.
    Last edited by Renegade; 09-21-21 at 09:00.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast