Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCM RE-A5 Vs. VLTOR RE-A5

Feedback Score
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I've had all 4 of the A5 receiver extensions... The 7 position and 6 position A5 REs from Vltor, the 8 position A5 RE from BCM and the 10 position A5 RE from Magpul.

The nicest finished ones were the ones from Vltor, even the inside of the tube was the smoothest. The BCM came in second in the finish department with Magpul being the worst, but the Magpul had the dry lube on the inside. I can't remember if the BCM did or not. I know that the Vltor ones did not have any dry lube on the inside.

But in the end the Magpul A5 REs won out for me because they had the best coverage of the buffer retainer. The A5 REs from both Vltor and BCM barely covered the very edge of the buffer retainer... It was bad enough to make me feel uncomfortable about it, so Magpul wins despite the lack luster finish as compared to the others.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 09-21-21 at 09:43.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    From memory, I believe BCM tube has has an additional hole position so that carbine-size stocks (BCM stocks) can lock fully collapsed against the tube. On the VLTOR tube, the longer stocks like Magpul SL, ACS, STR, etc. will lock fully collapsed. I used to have both, but have since sold the BCM lower.

Here's a thread with some photos: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...parison-Photos

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    From memory, I believe BCM tube has has an additional hole position so that carbine-size stocks (BCM stocks) can lock fully collapsed against the tube. On the VLTOR tube, the longer stocks like Magpul SL, ACS, STR, etc. will lock fully collapsed. I used to have both, but have since sold the BCM lower.

Here's a thread with some photos: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...parison-Photos
    Thats the same thread I posted above yours.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    If I understand you already have buffers so this is moot, but just in case anyone reads this later:

BCM A5 kits ship with A5H0 NOT A5H2. The vltor kits ship with far more beneficial/desirable A5H2 buffer.
    BCM more than likely ships with the "0" for liability reasons. Less chance of a malfunction in an under gassed gun shooting weak commercial ammunition. For grins I made a A5H2 into a A5H0. Under a BCM ELW upper the felt difference was very small. The kind of difference that you will not notice after a magazine or 2. Does that make the "0" less desirable? I don't think so.

Feedback Score
    That’s the one. Good find.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I have tungsten weights which I used to make an A5H4. Note you can make an A5H2 into an A5H1-A5H4 by adding or removing tungsten. You cannot make an A5H0 since the aluminum weight at the back is countersunk for the small spring.
    The drilled weight in the A5H2 is tungsten?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The drilled weight in the A5H2 is tungsten?
    No problem making and drilling an aluminum spacer with the lathe. The tungsten weights laugh at my setup.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Last time we took them apart, it was a steel weight that was milled for the spring, making the A5H0-A5H3 all possible with tungsten swaps.
    Only the A5H4 had the tungsten weight milled for the spring, making it special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Note you can make an A5H2 into an A5H1-A5H4 by adding or removing tungsten. You cannot make an A5H0 since the aluminum weight at the back is countersunk for the small spring.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Last time we took them apart, it was a steel weight that was milled for the spring, making the A5H0-A5H3 all possible with tungsten swaps.
    Only the A5H4 had the tungsten weight milled for the spring, making it special.
    This is correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12