Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9mm 147gr and Short Barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Disregard above post - I'm getting caught up in trying to count how many angles are dancing in the head of the pin. I just need to stock up, practice more, and seek additional training.
    I think it was a good question. The ballistics of each may not be different enough (and we'll assume they both work reliably in your gun) to worry about but those two loads are probably going to feel a little different to shoot. Try each one out and see if there is one that you shoot more accurately or faster. Then add your practice on top of that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
    I think it was a good question. The ballistics of each may not be different enough (and we'll assume they both work reliably in your gun) to worry about but those two loads are probably going to feel a little different to shoot. Try each one out and see if there is one that you shoot more accurately or faster. Then add your practice on top of that.
    Ditto.

In smaller calibers like 9mm I don't feel much subjective difference in recoil, especially my favored larger-platform guns. But with heavier calibers (.44 Mag, .45 Colt) I've noticed that pushing a large-for-caliber bullet at moderate velocities is a lot easier on my wrists than a light-for-caliber bullet at high velocities. As such, I tend to use heavier bullets in most of my pistol cartridges. In 9mm, 124-127 gr suits me. In .44 Spl/Mag, I like 240 or 300 gr bullets. In .45 Colt, I like 260-300 gr bullets. In .357 Mag, I like 158's or better yet 180's.

Just my humble, and my wrists. YMMV.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123