Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torque values with and without lubricant?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Speaking of loctite, was reading it's good for two years unopened, one year once opened-never knew.
    I never knew this either. Though I imagine that storage conditions have some bearing on how long it will last.

I know I've used the Permatex brand stuff that's a lot older than that without any ill effects. Maybe it's still fine as long as it's still liquid?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Speaking of loctite, was reading it's good for two years unopened, one year once opened-never knew.
    Yep, there's an expiration date on the bottles of Loctite I buy and it's usually good for almost 2 years. Though I have emailed Loctite USA about it and they told me it does last longer than the expiration date, but I still try to change them out every 2 or 3 years. I mainly use blue 243 and sometimes red 263 if I need something stronger.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 09-28-21 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Never knew either! I have a couple of tubes that must be at least ten years old and they still seem to work. What happens when it goes bad?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I seem to go through blue well within the time frame-or the dang stuff weeps out in in the plastic baggie. I just grabbed another tube and will change to a vertical storage with them.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    i have the same little bottles of red and blue locktite ive had for many years.. still seems to work OK, but i do rarely use it

didnt know it had a shelf-life, but i would imagine the conditions its stored in matter quite a bit. all of my gun solvents, lubes, thread lockers, etc, live in a cool, dark place

interesting thread - ive alwaya operated under the impression torque values dry unless specified wet - sounds like that is not a safe rule. i do tend toward a slot too tight rather than a slot too loose, and pre-work the threads.

ive never had a barrel fly off, at least
    why so serious?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Some, I know for instance Sig Sauer will list the values specifying whether or not to use loctite or not. (optics/plates)
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123