Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect battle rifle AR 308

Feedback Score

Perfect battle rifle AR 308

If you could take an existing 308 and do whatever you wanted to make it the perfect battle rifle what would you do?

For example I would take the Colt MARC 901 and keep the monolithic rail but make it MLOK, I would keep the front sight post gas block but make it adjustable with a click setting, flute the barrel under the hand guard and give it a taper from the gas block forward. I would also make an ambi charging handle like the CM762/CM65 have. NP3 coat the chamber and BCG. Maybe keep it 16 or chop it to 14.5, Nitride the barrel and either run a Surefire socom brake or a warcomp and throw a 1-8 on top.

I really like my 901 in heavy division for 3gun but it’s heavy but it’s very accurate and with a surefire brake it’s very soft shooting.

Feedback Score
    I'd make my MWS as light as the SR25, OR buy an SR25.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my LE901 quiet a bit. I am mixed about if it would be better if it had MLok. I believe there is value to having a heat shield on a rifle that might be expected to see long strings of fire. Regardless I would like to see the Colt Canada C20 style monolithic upper that covers the gas block. And trim the barrel back to 13.5 inches. Your idea about the flutes isn’t bad either but a smaller profile under the handguards might work just as well. Add an ambi charging handle and safety(I prefer the Colt ambi safeties to anything else anyway), add a Geissele trigger, OSS mount and suppressor and we are getting pretty close to my idea of perfect. Assuming everything works.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    14.5” ACC
    Kahles 1-8

Feedback Score
    I was thinking mlok to cut weight and make it easier to mount a light

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I like my CM762 well enough for it to be my only AR-10 rifle. MLOK is nice, ambi controls / charging handle, pretty much all the things people wanted in the 901. Pity they are impossible to find. I put a BCM Comp on mine and it has cut down on the recoil a bit.

Feedback Score
    Switch it to 6.5 Creedmoor

After spending some time behind a 6.5CM gas gun, i sold both my AR10s in 7.62/308 and moved to 6.5 creedmoor. I know ammo isn't as 'standard' or 'easy to get in a pinch' as 7.62/308, but the accuracy at distance is drastically improved, with less felt recoil and wind drift.

Depends on the mission obviously, but i think 6.5 Creed has some pretty big advantages over 7.62/308 in a gas gun platform. And i'm not the only one who agrees, SOCOM and NSWC are requesting 6.5 creed options to replace 7.62 gas guns (M110K1 etc).
    Last edited by B Cart; 09-28-21 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Switch it to 6.5 Creedmoor

After spending some time behind a 6.5CM gas gun, i sold both my AR10s in 7.62/308 and moved to 6.5 creedmoor. I know ammo isn't as 'standard' or 'easy to get in a pinch' as 7.62/308, but the accuracy at distance is drastically improved, with less felt recoil and wind drift.

Depends on the mission obviously, but i think 6.5 Creed has some pretty big advantages over 7.62/308 in a gas gun platform. And i'm not the only one who agrees, SOCOM and NSWC are requesting 6.5 creed options to replace 7.62 gas guns (M110K1 etc).
    I definitely think you're right about 6.5 Creedmoor. All things being equal, I'd definitely take it over 308, but all things aren't equal unfortunately. Ammo is unobtainium now, and relatively pricey in the best of times. Finally, there is barrel life, which is half that of 308. Not the end of the world, but still.

I'd still replace my 308 gasser if 6.5 ammo was available and equally priced.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As a civilian without .gov logistical support and today's political climate my choice would be to start with a rifle that has a hard use history that could be counted on to go 5-10,000 rounds with minimal parts replacement. To me that limits my choice to rifles that have passed military testing and are or have been in service so KAC, LMT or FN, I know SIG is seeing some use but I don't trust them yet. Since to me weight is important choice would be limited to ACC or SCAR in 7.62 and I would lean towards the ACC since the SCAR has issues that can be addressed but at additional cost, buy once cry once.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-29-21 at 11:12.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is my 16-inch rifle-gas Armalite. I'd take it to war.

Here are real-world Armalite 7.62 carbines in Brazil:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast