Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm fired from Glock, any way to save it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What I'm referring to is the bulge where the chamber is unsupported on 9mm, couple of companies make a push through die for
    .40 and .45 but not 9mm, I've read about using 9x18 Makarov carbide dies to remove bulge but the article says the carbide ring
    usually breaks under the stress.
    Regardless after resizing cases I drop them into a EGW 7 hole case gauge and those that were fired in Glocks have a obvious bulde
    that prevents the case from dropping in fully, these I segregate to junk brass box.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    What I'm referring to is the bulge where the chamber is unsupported on 9mm, couple of companies make a push through die for
    .40 and .45 but not 9mm, I've read about using 9x18 Makarov carbide dies to remove bulge but the article says the carbide ring
    usually breaks under the stress.
    Regardless after resizing cases I drop them into a EGW 7 hole case gauge and those that were fired in Glocks have a obvious bulde
    that prevents the case from dropping in fully, these I segregate to junk brass box.
    Just get the EGW/Lee small base sizing die. You're still going to have a small reject rate in the case gauge, but even 90% of those will pass the "plunk" test in your chamber. When I moved to the EGW die, my actual reject rate went from 4-5 per hundred, to less than 1 per hundred.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Just get the EGW/Lee small base sizing die. You're still going to have a small reject rate in the case gauge, but even 90% of those will pass the "plunk" test in your chamber. When I moved to the EGW die, my actual reject rate went from 4-5 per hundred, to less than 1 per hundred.
    Pre Gen 5 Glock 9 millimeter pistols will bulge the brass slightly if loaded to +P pressures. I haven't had any problems with brass failing the plunk test. I keep pressures moderate on my hand loads and I don't use a whole lot of + P ammo.

Some reloaders take their sizing dies to a belt sander and remove a fraction of an inch. This allows you to push the brass higher up into the die and remove the bulge.

I recently started reloading brass fired from Glock 21 pistols. I have had to use a small base die for this. Even though 45acp runs at a lower pressure, brass fired from G21 doesn't play well with my 1911 unless I squeeze it down a bit
    Last edited by signal4l; 09-24-21 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I may try the sizing die reduction on a surface grinder with a spare Lee 9mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I recently started reloading brass fired from Glock 21 pistols. I have had to use a small base die for this. Even though 45acp runs at a lower pressure, brass fired from G21 doesn't play well with my 1911 unless I squeeze it down a bit
    I got some .45 brass a friend fired in a Llama years ago that more often than not wouldn't enter an RCBS sizer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Better yet looking at the shell holder I bet I can take 20-30 thousands off that and still retain case.

Feedback Score
    How is it that I've been through tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and have only once encountered a case that's bulged to the point that it wouldn't just go through my sizer (Hornady) to get back to proper dimensions? Those cases were from a Masterpiece Arms Defender that fired out of battery when being bump fired. I just don't see this as an issue worth hassling with.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From the sublime to the ridiculous .

Feedback Score
    Can't say I've had trouble with 9mm brass from a Glock that I'm aware of.

Most recently, I did find some 9mm that had been badly bulged as it had been fired in something that had an overly generous feed ramp. It could have been a carbine or a pistol. Never found out.
    Firing pin marks indicated it was not a Glock.

Its 9mm. When the brass is that damaged, I pitch it. Not worth buying special dies.
    The challenge is trying to cull the bad stuff before it gets to the reloading machine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, you're overthinking this.

I've loaded with Redding and Dillon FL resizing dies. G19 gen 4 and gen 5. I load near max to duplicate my carry ammo and I've had no problems. The "Glock Bulge" is really more of an issue with higher pressure cartridges like .40 and 10mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast