Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do i want a Dead air sandman fde

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSmoke View Post
    Hd being home defense? No, it will not be a dedicated HD gun. I'm kinda torn between the CGS or the sandman right now. Or just get a 22 can

For most people I'd recommend the Helios QD Ti over the 718 Inconel variant unless you have an actual use for it.

Information on CGS rifle silencers:

The additive manufacturing process we use makes our rifle silencers far stronger than other comparative rifle silencers for a few reasons. Our manufacturing process creates parts with even higher strength and hardness than billet or forgings or castings or MIM, and does so with increased material density. There are no welds so there are no welds to fail and no welds to warp causing concentricity problems along the length of the silencer. This eliminates welding issues such as welds breaking and their byproducts such as warping, entirely. The monolithic structure and lack of welds make CGS rifle silencers very strong and eliminates failures, concentricity problems, and QC issues from welds. Even if the weld looks perfectly silver on the exterior you can easily have something that looks fine on the outside but the weld won’t penetrate properly for a number of reasons such as electrical problems within the machine itself, operator error, contamination, etc, so it’ll be super weak and it won’t be caught until the weld failure occurs in the end users hands as their using it. That applies to all materials, not just titanium, and failures like that are part of why CGS no longer gets silencers welded by another silencer company.

The Hyperion VCD design itself makes the silencer stronger than any other comparative silencer by better controlling heat and pressure to prevent hot spots from forming. The first chamber is immediately vented and gas is allowed to flow around the first core and is then reintroduced to the main flow further down stream and this also helps reduce thermal signature. Simplicity in design eliminates small, complex cavities and other undesirable features. The titanium silencers also have a proprietary heat treatment applied which further increases strength and hardness. They're internally coated with hexagonal boron nitride which decreases friction, increases surface hardness, and prevents fouling from sticking in the first place which eliminates the need to clean because fouling can't easily stick to internal geometry, though they still could be cleaned if ever required. The internal coating also limits/eliminates titanium white sparking depending on cartridge and barrel length. Titanium white sparking is a separate thing from flash and can't be controlled with a flash hider. The exterior is coated with black DLC. They're also the only dual function silencers available that can be converted simply by changing out the front cap with a 7/8" wrench. This allows you to have a traditional type silencer and a flow bypass type silencer all in one simple package. With future front cap releases it'll also be adjustable across the entire spectrum of sound, flash, and gas reduction just by swapping out the front cap. No longer do you have to live with just one permanent setting on a silencer. Both front caps and rear caps are retained with shallow taper joints which helps with concentricity and cap retention as it has more grip than a square shoulder. This also makes it future proof so regardless of when new front or rear caps are made they'll always be concentric to the silencer bore.

CGS rifle silencers are also some of the very few that don't sacrifice subsonic performance to achieve supersonic performance, it excels at both without compromise. Usually rifle silencers will either be good at supersonic and mediocre at subsonic, or good at subsonic and mediocre at supersonic. This can be seen with SIG and Q silencers where they're good at subsonic suppression but don't perform with supersonic ammo anywhere near as well. Since 99% of strikes occur on the front cap, since we don't use any welds in our silencers, and since our DMLS process creates a superior product in every meaningful way there's nothing that's going to need repairing other than on extremely rare occasion the front cap which is easily sent in the mail. In over four years no DMLS rifle silencers have been returned for repair from military, government, or commercial customers or consultants because the root of the primary problems are eliminated.

It was originally designed for a 10.4" select fire 5.56 carbine and similar such as the MK18, and the M249, MK46, and variants. It's a hard use SBR and machine gun silencer capable of being used even on 5.5" 5.56. See these links and make sure to read captions and comments as that's where questions will already be answered:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5F9P1mgxUe/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5HAuDagxAU/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ZtgSgJJPA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8HdYxEJmXt/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Wl_ByJRRz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YHr_dJtlk/

The Hyperion VCD technology is also used in our GPMG 762 silencer made for the M240, MAG 58, MK48, etc as well as belt fed 338 Norma Magnum machine guns. Here's 1259rds fired through one on an M240: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx_pqId55N8

The effectiveness of this technology can also be seen plainly in the Helios QD. It's nearly 2" shorter than a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 but it's very nearly the same suppression level and the Helios QD is just as capable of a precision long range rifle silencer as an Ultra 9, if not more so: https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...-qd-savage-308 and https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...a-9-savage-308

PewScience is the only valid, unbiased, and accurate silencer sound testing available to consumers and everyone else including manufacturers, dealers, distributors, and YouTubers and it's the sole source of data everyone should be using and referencing for data on silencer sound. Everything else you see, for example anytime you see single peak meter data like in Silencer Shop videos or when you see any form of data from companies that sell or manufacture silencers or silencer mounts or accessories in general, is simply meaningless entertainment for the uninformed consumer/viewer being passed off as science and fact. PewScience has tested some stuff on 5.56 already, it's just not been published yet.
    Last edited by paco ramirez; 10-04-21 at 13:29.
    Previously did all design work at CGS Group, 2014-2024.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Do i want a Dead air sandman fde

K…
    Especially considering barrel length.
    On 13.7:

Feedback Score
    One of the best cans money can buy. But I like the nomad better

Feedback Score
    I mentioned earlier that the K was flashy. The S was very nice in the dark. I'm very pleased to have them both. My brother in law has the Nomad and enjoys it. Can't go wrong with Dead Air.

Finally found a video showing the K can flash, then with the e brake and the 5.56 flash suppressor cap. The cap makes a difference. I just ordered one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58t...ist=LL&index=2

Feedback Score
    OP just FYI paco is affiliated with CGS and constantly shills there products. Does that mean CGS cans are no good? I have no idea and have no personal experience with them. But he is not a neutral source.

I recently purchased several cans and did a fair amount of research. Ended up with a Nomad and a Sandman S. The Nomad will be lighter and suppress slightly better, but the Sandman is rated for full auto and short barrels and is apparently built like a tank. Wish I could give you a review, but both cans are currently awaiting ATF approval. In the meantime I do have a couple of Dead Air muzzle brakes attached to several rifles and they actually work quite well. People seem to really like their attachment system.

Rumor has it that Dead Air is also going to be releasing a dedicated 5.56 can, but it's not clear if that will be in a couple of weeks, a couple of months or a couple of years.

Feedback Score
    The thing I don't like about the CGS is they only have direct thread options. They do not have any type of true QD system, their definition of QD is "dire thread". That is lol QD for me. I initially was looking at the YHM Turbo K for size and money but I have plans for 1 308 rifle and possible 300-blackout in the future and then I discovered the Sandman. I am really leaning toward the Sandman-S with the flash hider end cap to help reduce flash on my 10.5" as much as possible and keep db down a little better on my 16". I like the idea of running a Sandman-K with an e-brake or being able to remove it if I really want something short. I also like the DA flash hider design and plan to put the MB on the 308 rifle when I get it. I've been ready to pull the trigger all day on the Sandman-S FDE version, just waiting to confirm some details with my FFL.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the FDE is the one I picked up this summer. My understanding is that it was some kind of a contract overrun for a bunch they did for the military. Specs are slightly different than the commercial version, but underlying performance is the same. I kind of like getting a somewhat limited production run in FDE, rather than the standard black. And I was able to find one for a ridiculously low price, which kind of sealed the deal for me. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it since I'm waiting for NFA approval.

Other DA alternative is the Nomad. It has the advantage of being lighter and still pretty rugged, but if you want to do mag dumps with an SBR, the Sandman is the one to get. DA has the reputation of standing behind their products, and their suppressors are pretty well tested. And they have one of the best QD systems around, so if you plan to switch between multiple rifles, it's really the way to go.

Feedback Score
    I just bought a Sandman-S FDE yesterday. Thanks for all good information in here, I was originally going to get the K version but I think I'll be happier with the benefits the S has to offer. My FFL has a range so I can shoot with it there once they receive it. Hopefully soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12