Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Butchered feed ramps, Colt 14.5 and 11.5 barrels from Brownell's

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Colt will not have anything to do with that barrel. They don’t warranty parts at all. It’s between you and Brownells.

You would probably be better served with a different barrel anyway.
    I sent a NIB 6933 upper back to Colt bc the phosphate on the exterior of the barrel was gouged up, and they took care of me without issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do they have the combined MP mark on them?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Thank you for answering my question "Has anybody else had this happen"! I can't imagine Colt's operation sheets, their machining instructions, say "Dremel the ---- out of feed ramps after parkerizing"!

It seems to have been happening a lot longer than I thought. A Google search shows multiple threads on Arfcom as well as this wonderful fourm.

Nobody should "like" or put up with hacked up feed ramps after parkerizing, nitrite, or any other finishing. Having had Title II Colt's in the late 80's and early 90's when a NIB M16A1 was $1700-$2000, NIB M16A1HB about $3000-$4000, and NIB Colt carbine about $2500-$2700 (all of which I owned NIB) I never saw anything like this on those feed ramps.

I don't think any of us like the idea that the operation was done, but we're not going to start a thread to bitch about it (as stated, a quick search shows it's common).

S/a or f/a?

They've been run while attached to semi-auto lowers.

Factory complete rifles with hacked up feed ramps? What's the world coming to? I feel like Rip Van Winkle!

Yep, the latest one, an LE6920 FDEC (exclusive through Arms Unlimited), purchased in 2018 has the least amount of removed material. The LE6920-R, purchased in 2017, has the most. The LE6960 upper assembly was purchased between these two, and has less material removed than that of the Trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Typed my letter to Colt. Mailing in Monday.

You're mailing the letter to Colt.....like through the USPS? I'm interested in how they respond, but I don't expect them to offer an RMA.

I understand modifying feed ramps. But these barrels were sold as "new" with no mention of aftermarked mods.

Since the modification was done by Colt, I'm not sure why you consider it aftermarket.

Stone ground ramps throwing a big wrench into my acquisition plans.

There are lots of other barrel manufacturers out there.
    I really hope your belief that the BATFE plans to (and believes that they can get away with it) regulate barrels and other components is just an Old Coot's delusion and not reality.

Feedback Score
    there's kinda two ways to react to this situation..

1. i paid good money for expensive parts and i expect them to be free from what i consider to be blemishes

for this'n, talk to the manufacturer and see what happens. if they accommodate you, problem solved.. if they dont, this is a company you - personally - dont want to do business with anymore, as they dont meet your needs or wants.

2. dont care. i paid good money for a tool from a manufacturer that makes tools and i got a tool.

easy.. right? whats the point arguing over whether or not the ramps ought to be done before or after finish? it makes literally no functional difference, its just a matter of preference.

first post here btw, thanks for having me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can understand why you’re bummed that you got something like that. But look on the bright side. The bare metal is harder than the projectiles it will encounter and shooting the gun and keeping it properly lubed will make any rust a non issue.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I sent a NIB 6933 upper back to Colt bc the phosphate on the exterior of the barrel was gouged up, and they took care of me without issue.
    They’ll warranty the CK kits, but individual parts like barrels, buffers, receiver extensions, nope. Nada.

I think this thread, like most all the other Colt threads, is a case of unrealistic expectations.

Anyone who has been around Colts for any amount of time expects barrels like this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman William View Post
    there's kinda two ways to react to this situation..

1. i paid good money for expensive parts and i expect them to be free from what i consider to be blemishes

for this'n, talk to the manufacturer and see what happens. if they accommodate you, problem solved.. if they dont, this is a company you - personally - dont want to do business with anymore, as they dont meet your needs or wants.

2. dont care. i paid good money for a tool from a manufacturer that makes tools and i got a tool.

easy.. right? whats the point arguing over whether or not the ramps ought to be done before or after finish? it makes literally no functional difference, its just a matter of preference.

first post here btw, thanks for having me
    Welcome to the forum, and thank you for a logical first post!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Go back to sleep, and quit embarrassing yourself.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...cket%20Surgery
    Don't talk to him like that. He has 10 post and a couple of machineguns. He is special!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I remember seeing a conversation on the SOTAR Facebook group about how colt is now doing essentially a ‘gen 2’ M4 feed ramp that reduces drag on the cartridge case and negates any accuracy issues from feed ramp damage on the projectile. So the marks you are noticing may be by design.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 09-25-21 at 22:44.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Brownells will make it right IF you bought it through them. I purchased a Colt AR-15 CR complete lower. I thought the pistol grip screw was loose and took it home from the FFL. WRONG! Cross threaded. Contacted Brownell's CS, RMA and sent it back. Bought another with my refund and it turned out right.
    I was out the FFL Transfer fee, 20 bucks again for the new transfer. Brownells will treat you right if the product you purchased from them is wrong or defective.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast