Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butchered feed ramps, Colt 14.5 and 11.5 barrels from Brownell's

Feedback Score

Butchered feed ramps, Colt 14.5 and 11.5 barrels from Brownell's

Hello all;

Received Colt 14.5" (govt not socom) and Colt 11.5" barrels from Brownells last week. Feed ramps in both barrels have been recut, by hand it appears, after the barrels were parkerized! Anyone else get these awful re-cut feed ramps on their Brownell's sourced Colt barrels? Did you return or use them?

Thanks....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Hello all;

Received Colt 14.5" (govt not socom) and Colt 11.5" barrels from Brownells last week. Feed ramps in both barrels have been recut, by hand it appears, after the barrels were parkerized! Anyone else get these awful re-cut feed ramps on their Brownell's sourced Colt barrels? Did you return or use them?

Thanks....
    Are you sure you are seeing what you think you are seeing?

Feedback Score
    I see a material removal operation in both feed ramps that was done after the parkerizing was done. A 3x loop shows heavy tool marks consistent with a grey Dremel stone. Parkerizing is typically done after all machining operations. Machining operations done after parkerizing are typically to correct machining errors.

What do you see?
    Last edited by Old Coot; 09-24-21 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Can you post photos of both barrels straight on to get a better look at the feed ramps?

Feedback Score
    My cell camera doesn't focus well on close up photos, even with flash. If you enlarge the pic I posted (click once on pic, then click again, then click on the "+" sign) you'll see heavy tool marks and uneven application of the tool, indicating a hand job (no pun intended). You'll also see tiny shavings of metal in the locking lugs. That only the edges of the feed ramps are in the white is further evidence this was done by hand.

Will try for better pics tomorrow. Thanks for responses, all.
    Last edited by Old Coot; 09-24-21 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt altering feed ramps after the parkerizing is not new. It's been happening for at least a couple (or more) years. If you don't like it, send it back.

Mine show some work done to the ramps, and they run well. One upper assembly was from Brownells, and the others were factory complete rifles purchased elsewhere.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-25-21 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Exchange them for new ones. I’d be curious to see if the replacement barrels had the same issues.

Feedback Score
    Colt altering feed ramps after the parkerizing is not new. It's been happening for at least a couple (or more) years.
    Thank you for answering my question "Has anybody else had this happen"! I can't imagine Colt's operation sheets, their machining instructions, say "Dremel the ---- out of feed ramps after parkerizing"!

If you don't like it, send it back.

Nobody should "like" or put up with hacked up feed ramps after parkerizing, nitrite, or any other finishing. Having had Title II Colt's in the late 80's and early 90's when a NIB M16A1 was $1700-$2000, NIB M16A1HB about $3000-$4000, and NIB Colt carbine about $2500-$2700 (all of which I owned NIB) I never saw anything like this on those feed ramps.

Nine show some work done to the ramps, and they run well.

S/a or f/a?

One upper assembly was from Brownells, and the others were factory complete rifles purchased elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Factory complete rifles with hacked up feed ramps? What's the world coming to? I feel like Rip Van Winkle!
    Last edited by Old Coot; 09-24-21 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That’s very common.

I have a 6920 barrel marked ‘08 like that. I have about 10 Colt uppers and most have been hit with a Dremel like that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Exchange them for new ones. I’d be curious to see if the replacement barrels had the same issues.
    Put an 11.5" on backorder this evening. Then ordered an in-stock 14.5" govt. I'll post report on arrival.
    Last edited by Old Coot; 09-24-21 at 21:42.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast