Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Butchered feed ramps, Colt 14.5 and 11.5 barrels from Brownell's

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    It "clearly has no effect on function". Great. Show me the results of the extensive Crane studies proving that.

"They are war horses". Yes, sir. Which wars have you ridden this horse in?

While you dig out your pics I'll be contacting Colt to ask if this is how their military feed ramps are made; hand grinding with a Dremel after parkerizing. I'll tell them you said they don't make pretty rifles and ask for their comments on that. Will let you know their response.
    Cool story. Show me the extensive Crane studies on the vast majority of sh!t people run. If you don't like the way they look, send them back to Brownells or send them to Colt. It's not rocket surgery...
    Last edited by scooter22; 09-25-21 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    This is normal standard practice for Colt, though sometimes a barrel gets through unmolested... They've been doing this for a very long time, but I agree that it's not pretty. Bravo Company also does it and I'm sure there are others.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not finding it right now, but isn't there a thread bouncing around where another Colt item purchased via Brownells was off in some way?
    I’ve had to send back three Colt bolt carriers back to Brownell’s recently due to fit/finish issues. The first one had a deep gouge on the tip of the gas key, like somebody hit it with a cold chisel. The next two had dings on the side of the gas key, and the chrome finish from the chamber ran down the face of the carrier onto the ramp that hits the hammer. The fourth one I ordered from Midway, and it didn’t have any of the afore mentioned gas key issues, but still had the chrome finish issue. At this point I’m just going to keep it, as I’m sure it’ll work fine. I’m tired of exchanging bolt carriers at this point. Kind of disappointing considering the premium price tag associated with Colt parts.

Feedback Score
    It "clearly has no effect on function". Great. Show me the results of the extensive Crane studies proving that.

"They are war horses". Yes, sir. Which wars have you ridden this horse in?

While you dig out your pics I'll be contacting Colt to ask if this is how their military feed ramps are made; hand grinding with a Dremel after parkerizing. I'll tell them you said they don't make pretty rifles and ask for their comments on that. Will let you know their response.
    You are trying to argue with an idiot there sir.

And no, not all Colt barrels are molested like that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just send it back. Nice and simple, send it back.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I have access to a 2013 LE6920 rifle, and 2020 6920 upper, and a 2015 16" Carbine Heavy profile barrel assembly. Both 6920 have similar almost Bubba quality hand work, the HB looks like gunsmith quality feed ramp polishing.

None will be sent back.

Last edited by Evil Black Rifle; 09-25-21 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Black Rifle View Post
    I have access to a 2013 LE6920 rifle, and 2020 6920 upper, and a 2015 16" Carbine Heavy profile barrel assembly. Both 6920 have similar almost Bubba quality hand work, the HB looks like gunsmith quality feed ramp polishing.

None will be sent back.

Yep. I have access to 5 (FIVE) BNIB 2012 LE6920s that all look like this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Cool. If you don't like the way they look, send them back to Brownells or send them to Colt. It's not rocket surgery...
    Science. "Rocket science". Not surgery. You must be older than me. Brownell's customer service will call me next week, their service rep told me. Typed my letter to Colt. Mailing in Monday. Have better pics but reached upload limit here.

I understand modifying feed ramps. But these barrels were sold as "new" with no mention of aftermarked mods. ATF will most likely soon classify barrels and more as firearms. Prices will go up and supply become short, accordingly. Trying to beat the ban here. Stone ground ramps throwing a big wrench into my acquisition plans.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Butchered feed ramps, Colt 14.5 and 11.5 barrels from Brownell's

Science. "Rocket science". Not surgery. You must be older than me. Brownell's customer service will call me next week, their service rep told me. Typed my letter to Colt. Mailing in Monday. Have better pics but reached upload limit here.

I understand modifying feed ramps. But these barrels were sold as "new" with no mention of aftermarked mods. ATF will most likely soon classify barrels and more as firearms. Prices will go up and supply become short, accordingly. Trying to beat the ban here. Stone ground ramps throwing a big wrench into my acquisition plans.
    Go back to sleep, and quit embarrassing yourself.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...cket%20Surgery
    Last edited by scooter22; 09-25-21 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Colt will not have anything to do with that barrel. They don’t warranty parts at all. It’s between you and Brownells.

You would probably be better served with a different barrel anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast