Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a Delta CAG MRE-B build; which barrel: SOCOM or govt?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Planning a Delta CAG MRE-B build; which barrel: SOCOM or govt?

I know it’s a silly question, but I tried a search already. I’m planning to build another Delta CAG M4 with the KAC RAS MRE-B rail, and I’m wondering if back then (2001 time frame) they used a SOCOM profile, or govt profile M4 barrel? Anybody know? Seems like all the builds I find on the web use a SOCOM barrel, but I didn’t think those were around in the early GWOT.

Mods feel free to move this if need be.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-25-21 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the people who were using them, it could have been any barrel. If we are sticking to Colt options, I would say its a gov profile.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Gov’t, IIRC. Could be wrong.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-25-21 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most likely a standard .gov/.mil M4 barrel.

If you're going to go through the ass-pain of mounting a free-float MRE and a Schmidt-Bender (or another LPVO), I'd go for the extra two ounces on a SOCOM profile.

The Geissele trigger didn't exist in 2001-2003, either, but I'd go SSA or G2S to get the benefit.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Most likely a standard .gov/.mil M4 barrel.

If you're going to go through the ass-pain of mounting a free-float MRE and a Schmidt-Bender (or another LPVO), I'd go for the extra two ounces on a SOCOM profile.

The Geissele trigger didn't exist in 2001-2003, either, but I'd go SSA or G2S to get the benefit.
    Thanks for chiming in! All my SOCOM barrels have been fantastic shooters, but the weight is a consideration. You sure it’s only a two ounce difference? They always felt significantly heavier than the standard M4 barrel to my non calibrated hand/arms. I’m signed up for in-stock alerts at a couple places for a Colt SOCOM barrel, so I’ll grab one when they come in. (If anything it will be nice to have one in the parts drawer). I was toying with the idea of pinning a PRI folding FSB to a FN CHF 14.5” govt barrel, but the PRI FSB is listed as being 2.5” tall, so I’m not sure that will jive with a KAC or Matech folding rear sight.

I already have a Nodak A1 lower with an SSA-E set aside for the project. I know it’s not 100% correct for this build, but it’s already in my possession and assembled. (Left over from another project).

The S&B short dot is way out of my price range, so I’m considering the following optics:

-Primary Arms PLX 1-8
    -Trijicon Accupoint 1-6
    -Trijicon Accupower 1-8
    -Used Vcog 1-8 or 1-6
    -Used Elcan 1-4

Once again none of those optic choices are 100% correct, but they’re more obtainable than the S&B. (Obviously due to cost, I’m broke, but have expensive taste).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks for chiming in! All my SOCOM barrels have been fantastic shooters, but the weight is a consideration. You sure it’s only a two ounce difference? They always felt significantly heavier than the standard M4 barrel to my non calibrated hand/arms.
    Dang, you're right -- the SOCOM is five ounces heavier, not two. Sorry, I was wrong.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The reality that few cloners want to acknowledge is that there is very little standards across the board when it comes to this stuff. One dude could have had an older rifle that ran fine on his gov barrel that they then converted to the kac rail, etc… while another dude could have had a bad barrel that was replaced with a new SOCOM in the same troop. It doesn’t matter, just run what you’d prefer. For me, it would be a Colt SOCOM for their ridiculous accuracy.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Dang, you're right -- the SOCOM is five ounces heavier, not two. Sorry, I was wrong.
    I better hit the gym!!

Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    The reality that few cloners want to acknowledge is that there is very little standards across the board when it comes to this stuff. One dude could have had an older rifle that ran fine on his gov barrel that they then converted to the kac rail, etc… while another dude could have had a bad barrel that was replaced with a new SOCOM in the same troop. It doesn’t matter, just run what you’d prefer. For me, it would be a Colt SOCOM for their ridiculous accuracy.
    True on all points.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll try and clutter the forum with more meaningful content.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I better hit the gym!!

True on all points.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll try and clutter the forum with more meaningful content.
    Hey Hammer- one last thing: Cloning guns can be a very, very, very long and expensive hole. Don’t get sucked in- hit the major parts- rails, optics, barrels, etc… When you start getting into the minutiae- a no longer produced BUIS that you have to spend $450 on or a light that costs $1500 and isn’t released to the public, throw a Magpul pro and a Surefire 600 on it and spend that money on ammo and classes. You’ll get the same satisfaction and thank me later.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Hey Hammer- one last thing: Cloning guns can be a very, very, very long and expensive hole. Don’t get sucked in- hit the major parts- rails, optics, barrels, etc… When you start getting into the minutiae- a no longer produced BUIS that you have to spend $450 on or a light that costs $1500 and isn’t released to the public, throw a Magpul pro and a Surefire 600 on it and spend that money on ammo and classes. You’ll get the same satisfaction and thank me later.
    Trust me, this isn’t my first trip down the cloning rabbit hole. Most of my builds have been based on weapons I’ve seen during my time in the military, or occupy a place in GWOT history. Funny story, I built a RAS-MRE carbine a few years back, before I knew anything about its’ history. At the time, I just wanted an alternative to the unobtainable DD RIS II, so I bought a RAS MRE-B instead. Now that KAC has discontinued their legacy handguards again, I want to build another before the supply of RAS-MRE handguards dries up. I already plan on running KAC QD sling mounts, and my Surefire RC2, so no it won’t be a 100% clone. I’d like to run a KAC QDSS CQB suppressor, which also isn’t clone correct, but I think that money is better spent on a decent optic.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-26-21 at 18:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast