Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surplus Turkish .30 Caliber M2 (30-06)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Surplus Turkish .30 Caliber M2 (30-06)

It seems to be the only surplus Garand ammo at the moment, certainly the only one available for less than $1 per round. Currently available from multiple sources.

Does anyone have experience with this ammo? Is it a hard no or an "OK, but not match ammo"?

Thanks
    Andy

P.S. Yes, I know I should have stocked in the golden years, but I was busy trying to buy ammo for the guns I owned.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you.

I am still trying to accept the fact 1K of bulk ball ammunition costs much more than the M1. I reload, but didn't really plan to shoot reloads only, not to mention component availability is so-so at the moment.

Andy

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you.

I am still trying to accept the fact 1K of bulk ball ammunition costs much more than the M1. I reload but didn't really plan to shoot reloads only, not to mention component availability is so-so at the moment.

Andy
    Your welcome, I will say when I looked up the Turkish ammo I did a BIG !! Wow,, and yea it's been a while since I have bought any surplus, at least any large amount. I agree I like my reloads but then I'll switch back and forth with my surplus, mostly when I want a fresh bunch of once fired brass. While I'm good with everything I sure wish this shortage crap would get over! It does seem like bullets are "around" depending on caliber but everything else is pretty scarce up in my neck of the woods! But with that said I just had a buddy go down to PA for the weekend and he sent me pics of a GS and while they didn't have everything they had a pretty good selection of powder. He is bringing me back 2- 1LB cans of IMR4895, it would work fine in the 06 but I use that mostly for my 308/M1a loads, always nice to replenish stuff as you use it. Keep us posted if & when you grab that Turkish ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Double double tap tap
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-08-21 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I had a pair of 30-06 bolt action hunting rifles and was well set for reloading 30-06 plus had enough factory ammo on hand for a lifetime of hunting. Then I was gifted a 1903 and bought a Garand from the CMP.

I have some 4064, 4895, projectiles, and primers, but wanted some extra factory (Garand safe) ammo on hand to make my life easier.

I ordered 1000 rounds of the Turkish M2 ball, so my fingers are crossed. It seems its ok surplus ammo, unless its corrosive.

I will use my stainless 30-06 to blast a clean piece of carbon sheet steel with a modern primed case and then the turkish case with bullet and powder removed . A week or two in my garage will prove or disprove corrosive primers.

I'm so freaking spoiled by 5.56/.223...

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-08-21 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only downside I can see to corrosive primers is that I would have to clean my M1 Garand after every range outing. That would require my taking the action out of the stock. With bolt action rifles, I don't bother taking them out of the stock. I turn them upside down when cleaning to prevent dirt and cleaning solvents from running onto the wood finish.

I've been shooting ammunition with corrosive primers for decades without any issues. I clean the rifle(s) within a few hours of firing. The first patch pushed through the bore and gas system are soaked with Windex. I wait a few minutes, push a dry patch through, then repeat one more time. Then I clean and lube the rifle like I normally would. If I shot in the pouring rain, I check the rifle 2 or 3 days later, push a clean patch through the bore, then another oily patch.

A old gunsmith (died a few years back) who owned a local shop conducted the same test you are going to do. It took several days before there was a noticeable amount of corrosion on bare metal.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I still have not done more than look at the Turk surplus (looks ok, '63 dated). Today I picked up 5 bandoliers of 1980 Greek HXP on en bloc clips, 240 rds. I just need to pick up more clips.

The HXP is loaded on French SF clips, which have a reputation for being unreliable in some M1s. I don't mind using them but found a GI cartridge belt for my Dad and will load 80 rounds of HXP in different (US made) clips and fill the belt before I give it to him. I would rather not worry about issues if/when he or his grandkids shoot his rifle.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-23-21 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I still have not done more than look at the Turk surplus (looks ok, '63 dated). Today I picked up 5 bandoliers of 1980 Greek HXP on en bloc clips, 240 rds. I just need to pick up more clips.

The HXP is loaded on French SF clips, which have a reputation for being unreliable in some M1s. I don't mind using them but found a GI cartridge belt for my Dad and will load 80 rounds of HXP in different (US-made) clips and fill the belt before I give it to him. I would rather not worry about issues if/when he or his grandkids shoot his rifle.

Andy
    I have heard there are issues with the clips used with the HXP surplus. I have bought/shot & still have thousands of rds of it from back in the day,, I love the stuff. I always thought it was more accurate than the LC surplus I have, anyways I have heard about the clips & if you look at them I think the park is "thick" on them! I think some guys over at the CMP Forum have said tumble them for a while and it knocks it down some. I never have tumbled any and really have never had any issues with them but that could be worth a try. I will say one thing for sure about the HXP & that's that the Sealent on the bullet is very strong on some of the rds, I also read this @ CMP and have done it and my results were better & the thing to do is put the rds in your press and just seat the bullet a hair deeper, I mean just enough to where you hear the sealant POP! Breaking that sealant helps with accuracy & it definitely was noticeable in my rifles. I feel it's worth the time to crack that almost 50-year-old sealant and see what it does for ya. Let me know if ya do it and if you think it helps!
    A few clip places if ya can't find any Local.
    https://ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-garand-8-shot-clip/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I have heard there are issues with the clips used with the HXP surplus. I have bought/shot & still have thousands of rds of it from back in the day,, I love the stuff. I always thought it was more accurate than the LC surplus I have, anyways I have heard about the clips & if you look at them I think the park is "thick" on them! I think some guys over at the CMP Forum have said tumble them for a while and it knocks it down some. I never have tumbled any and really have never had any issues with them but that could be worth a try. I will say one thing for sure about the HXP & that's that the Sealent on the bullet is very strong on some of the rds, I also read this @ CMP and have done it and my results were better & the thing to do is put the rds in your press and just seat the bullet a hair deeper, I mean just enough to where you hear the sealant POP! Breaking that sealant helps with accuracy & it definitely was noticeable in my rifles. I feel it's worth the time to crack that almost 50-year-old sealant and see what it does for ya. Let me know if ya do it and if you think it helps!
    A few clip places if ya can't find any Local.
    https://ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-garand-8-shot-clip/
    Thank you! I had not stumbled across the "breaking the sealant" trick. I will have to try it.

I'm glad to hear you had no issues with the HXP clips. I am OK with using them but plan to use different clips for my Dad as a little extra insurance. I don't know if he will ever shoot his Garand again, but if he does, I want it to be as smooth an experience as possible. I had planned to buy some from ammogarand - would you beleive there was not a single clip for sale at the gunshow last weekend?

The gun shop I bought the ammo from got it from a private citizen who was getting rid of or reducing his milsurp guns and ammo. I am sure they both made a profit and the price per round was still less than Turk surplus online. I only bought 5 bandos because I didn't want to be greedy.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-24-21 at 07:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast