Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surplus Turkish .30 Caliber M2 (30-06)

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you! I had not stumbled across the "breaking the sealant" trick. I will have to try it.

I'm glad to hear you had no issues with the HXP clips. I am OK with using them but plan to use different clips for my Dad as a little extra insurance. I don't know if he will ever shoot his Garand again, but if he does, I want it to be as smooth an experience as possible. I had planned to buy some from ammogarand - would you believe there was not a single clip for sale at the gunshow last weekend?

The gun shop I bought the ammo from got it from a private citizen who was getting rid of or reducing his milsurp guns and ammo. I am sure they both made a profit and the price per round was still less than Turk surplus online. I only bought 5 bandos because I didn't want to be greedy.

Andy
    I had never heard that before about "reducing" your Military Surplus other than shooting it, huh !! Ya hear crazy stuff every day! LOL Yea there is plenty of options for GI clips out there just snoop around & Ammogarand is a good place, I have bought from them before. Hell, when ya break down the rds and pop the sealant throw the clips in your tumbler and see how they come out. You will notice some will pop very loud and others not so much but at least they will be more consistent, I will say out of my M1 with the Criterion BBL it tightened the groups up 1/2 or so, it did make a difference I felt. Well it's late Oct in upstate NY and it's a nice sunny day, I'm heading tho the range for a bit & hopefully, there is no one else there !! I'll report back when I get home, good luck with your HXP, it's good stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Breaking the sealant works. Usually .003" to .005" does the trick. I've seen a considerable reduction in group sizes with a M1A using 7.62mm GI Match ammunition after doing this. It also works well with HXP 30-06 and a M1 Garand.

I shoot M1 Garands in matches with a small group of guys (less than 30) who shoot HXP surplus ammunition and we haven't had issues with HXP clips causing malfunctions. I'll have to ask around about that one.

I did and still have accuracy issues with loose HXP 30-06 ammunition I purchased from CMP. I've fired several thousand rounds of it through a M1 Garand and a Gibbs 1903A4. The HXP ammunition that comes in boxes of 20 and in cans on stripper clips is reasonably accurate. I've fired my share of 100 yard 1" groups with boxed HXP in my Gibbs 1903A4, but the loose HXP is questionable. Quite often a flyer with the loose HXP will turn a 2" group into a 9" group at 100 yards. The brass has marks on it that looks like it was delinked from belts and a can of 200 rounds can have 4 or 5 different years on the head stamps. Even if you segregate the ammunition by year on the head stamp, the loose HXP doesn't shoot as well as the boxed up ammunition or the HXP that comes loaded in clips.

Buy the HXP in 20 round boxes or the HXP on clips, break the sealant and you should be happy with the accuracy.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I made it to the range and shot a bit of the '63 Turkish MKE ball and a friend shot 2 clips of PPU ball.
    I have one CMP clip that was very difficult to load, but there were no other issues. The MKE seems to shoot well and of course the M1 is just a pleasure to shoot.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12