Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looked horrible at the local Sportmans Warehouse yesterday

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's a whole different debate. It's got a very narrow and awesome niche for Special Forces who can benefit from sub sonic on the same M4 receiver/mag platform. But I tried it in my realm, and it sucked for my shooting. I don't even run a can on my house gun in 5.56... so the sub sonic romance isn't my thing. And it totally blows at any sort of distance shooting... and that's what FUN to me. Reaching out and hitting targets. 300 really bombs at any distance compared to 5.56.
    If you care about distance, ditch the 5.56, too. It’s pretty anemic.

I use .300 for “pistol” season. I’ve managed several whitetail out to 250 with it, dead in their tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    If you care about distance, ditch the 5.56, too. It’s pretty anemic.
    We often refer to Iraqgunz's example of the Mk18 kill he referred to with Mk262 ammo at 700-800 yards. We shoot everything from 5.56 to 300 WIN MAG for long range, and of course bigger is always better at distance, but a good 77 gr bullet will do the trick on people all day long out to 750 and even beyond.

Distance shooting for civilians in the real world is highly unrealistic so anemic doesn't matter as much as accuracy/consistency. Hell.. I would shoot 22 rimfire if it got to 800-1000 yards reliably.

Our shooting preferences don't match most because we're blessed with a great long distance area. We've shot guy's 300 BOs. But the accuracy wasn't impressive and the round peters out too quick. Just doesn't make sense in our line up, especially with the cost of the round.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    We often refer to Iraqgunz's example of the Mk18 kill he referred to with Mk262 ammo at 700-800 yards. We shoot everything from 5.56 to 300 WIN MAG for long range, and of course bigger is always better at distance, but a good 77 gr bullet will do the trick on people all day long out to 750 and even beyond.

Distance shooting for civilians in the real world is highly unrealistic so anemic doesn't matter as much as accuracy/consistency. Hell.. I would shoot 22 rimfire if it got to 800-1000 yards reliably.

Our shooting preferences don't match most because we're blessed with a great long distance area. We've shot guy's 300 BOs. But the accuracy wasn't impressive and the round peters out too quick. Just doesn't make sense in our line up, especially with the cost of the round.
    Well yeah…300 isn’t a long distance round. It’s up close and optimized in short guns where 5.56 tends to….well suck.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, the whole purpose of being for .300BO was to get better performance out of extremely short barrels.

Only purpose I've ever envisioned for having a .300 upper would be a 7-8"er.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... to get back on topic... Pappabear grabbed a thousand pistol primers from a local high priced gun store for around $100. Crazy price, but he was probably tired of me whining about needing them.

A buddy gave me an old 100 pc CCI pistol primer pack with an $0.87 price tag on it.... can you imagine? $8.70 for a thousand pistol primers???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah... to get back on topic... Pappabear grabbed a thousand pistol primers from a local high priced gun store for around $100. Crazy price, but he was probably tired of me whining about needing them.

A buddy gave me an old 100 pc CCI pistol primer pack with an $0.87 price tag on it.... can you imagine? $8.70 for a thousand pistol primers???
    First time I bought them almost 20 years ago, they were $10/1,000. Last week I managed to pick up 1200 primers for $4.99 ea. I got 800 large rifle and 400 small pistol.

Feedback Score
    .300bk might do better with a person whom is reloading it. Fine tuning the .300bk for ones own gun may get nice results. I haven’t started yet, but I have plenty of brass, powder, primers and bullets when I get around to it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Plenty of ammo at some of the local gun stores and the gun show this weekend. I am buying the absolute minimum I can get away with until prices are more reasonable.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Regarding Sportsman’s, I’ve never found them to be particularly useful. Yesterday at a Cabela’s and another local shop I bought four pounds of pistol powder (H110, AA9, and HS6 x2) for $31.99 per pound. This is pretty close to pre current pandemic prices. On the other hand, at an Academy (TX chain) last week they were selling CCI primers for $100 per 1000

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Regarding Sportsman’s, I’ve never found them to be particularly useful. Yesterday at a Cabela’s and another local shop I bought four pounds of pistol powder (H110, AA9, and HS6 x2) for $31.99 per pound. This is pretty close to pre current pandemic prices. On the other hand, at an Academy (TX chain) last week they were selling CCI primers for $100 per 1000
    Except for the last few years I used to visit ours frequently. Got a few really good deals on pistols here and there + the place is dog friendly as hell. Been in there a ton of times with various pairs of Dobergirls over the years and was always made to feel welcome. (and the girls too!)

This particular store has an upstairs as well with a really long, steep and slippery stair going up to the top floor. Very good for dog stair training and nobody ever says a word if we go up and down a pile of times when there...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast