Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BNVD Photonis Echo spec WP versus BNVD Elbit XLS WP

Feedback Score

BNVD Photonis Echo spec WP versus BNVD Elbit XLS WP

Had a rare chance to compare two of these units almost identical in specifications.

I wrote down the key metrics for these units on a piece of paper so no one would freak out about Itar if I posted the spec sheets. They were very close with Ebi being the only thing with some difference between the two.

The Echo spec unit has no manual gain control- what others call "auto" gain which is actually no gain control.
    https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-...DWHITEPHOS.htm

The BNVD with the Elbit XLS tubes has manual gain control and it was set high for this test to be close to what the no gain set was.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-...-XLSWPBNVD.htm

Conditions-

We went to our range in the Georgia swamps October 24th at 7:30 pm. Conditions were overcast, moon was not up yet, wasn't a lot of light IMO.

First pic was taken of a person standing out in the open approximately 50 yards from the camera. Camera man was standing in the open also.

First up- BNVD SG with XLS WP tubes

Next- BNVD with Echo spec WP tubes

Then we went a little bit farther into the woods there and just in the 5-10 minutes since the first set of pics were taken, lighting conditions seemed to have worsened. Also the folks that have attended training at our range will attest that this area is very thick with tree cover, further cutting down on lighting conditions.

In the woods, approximately 30 yards, standing semi out of concealment

First- BNVD SG with XLS WP tubes-

Next BNVD with Photonis Echo spec WP tubes-

Once again, while the specifications on these two units was close, the XLS tube was a good bit better on Ebi than the Echo.
    Last edited by Lowdown3; 10-25-21 at 11:51.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You have access to the 4G INTENS, as well? Comparo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    We don't have an INTENS in stock no. The INTENS with similar specs would wipe the floor with the XLS grade however.

When we do comparisons, we do them the correct way- two units of different types that have SIMILAR SPECIFICATIONS. This way the comparison is accurate. Usually you see comparisons that are like "here is my 37 SN Elbit WHP compared to my 29 SN Echo" which isn't very similar- more like comparing a 4 cylinder truck to a V8.

So basically I try to go over units that arrive and I get excited when I find something with specs similar to what I already have in my personal gear- cause that means a realistic comparison can then be done.

The INTENS tubes are available in the BNVD format, it's a good jump up in price however.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    We don't have an INTENS in stock no. The INTENS with similar specs would wipe the floor with the XLS grade however.

When we do comparisons, we do them the correct way- two units of different types that have SIMILAR SPECIFICATIONS. This way the comparison is accurate. Usually you see comparisons that are like "here is my 37 SN Elbit WHP compared to my 29 SN Echo" which isn't very similar- more like comparing a 4 cylinder truck to a V8.

So basically I try to go over units that arrive and I get excited when I find something with specs similar to what I already have in my personal gear- cause that means a realistic comparison can then be done.

The INTENS tubes are available in the BNVD format, it's a good jump up in price however.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post

How do you like the INTENS vs. the L3 Filmless, and what kind of cosmetics as well as specs are you seeing from the INTENS? Out of curiosity, what would INTENS BNVD's (SG or not?) run, and what kind of wait time would that be?
    Last edited by WS6; 10-29-21 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    We sell 100 to 1 of the Echo spec to the INTENS.

Intens are in general very clean tubes, and honestly the Echos are very close to that.

I sold my L3 filmless personal BNVD a few years back. I did not see the $2K plus difference in price between that and a high spec Elbit WHP and I damn sure wasn't happy with how quickly the L3 tubes sucked power- I was changing batteries twice a night at classes while my son was running the same model with Elbit WHP tubes and wasn't changing batteries.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We sell 100 to 1 of the Echo spec to the INTENS.

Intens are in general very clean tubes, and honestly the Echos are very close to that.

I sold my L3 filmless personal BNVD a few years back. I did not see the $2K plus difference in price between that and a high spec Elbit WHP and I damn sure wasn't happy with how quickly the L3 tubes sucked power- I was changing batteries twice a night at classes while my son was running the same model with Elbit WHP tubes and wasn't changing batteries.
    Interesting. I have a PVS14, L3 filmless. I have not compared it side by side to anything else, but have used XLS MOD3 before, and greatly preferred the L3 filmless, but since it was on a different night, it's a pretty bad comparison. I have not noticed any battery issues really, but I don't use it as much as you use yours, by a long shot. From what I understand, the INTENS are actually different from ECHO, and not just "ECHO's with really good specs", right?

Feedback Score
    Well this was in a dual tube set.

The Photonis tubes are graded just as Elbit and L3/Harris does.

Echo is their mid grade and Intens are their top graded tubes. Other than that no differences. We hashed this out with three Photonis VPs a few years ago at Shot show after another vendor made some crazy claims about Echos online that wasn't true.

Basically if a tube doesn't make the cut for the higher grade- either more blemishes than allowed in the better grade, lower specification numbers, etc. then they are put in the lower category.

Same as Elbit tubes that aren't good enough for SLH or VH drop down into the XLS grade. Some people call these "fallout" tubes, i.e, they fell out of the better categories.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well this was in a dual tube set.

The Photonis tubes are graded just as Elbit and L3/Harris does.

Echo is their mid grade and Intens are their top graded tubes. Other than that no differences. We hashed this out with three Photonis VPs a few years ago at Shot show after another vendor made some crazy claims about Echos online that wasn't true.

Basically if a tube doesn't make the cut for the higher grade- either more blemishes than allowed in the better grade, lower specification numbers, etc. then they are put in the lower category.

Same as Elbit tubes that aren't good enough for SLH or VH drop down into the XLS grade. Some people call these "fallout" tubes, i.e, they fell out of the better categories.
    I'm tracking. I had thought they had physical/actual differences between the two, not just XLS/YH type differences. The INTENS has 30% more gain, and I figured that meant something was done different, not just a Gucci speccing ECHO.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-29-21 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    Long read, but this explains it all pretty well.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry...is/716-291381/

With questions answered by Photonis VPs.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast