Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this forum dying a slow death???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Is this forum dying a slow death???

I used to come here for specs, reviews of the latest gear, loads of photos of rifles and pistols, and just general info on all things gun related. The AR section was very active. The Handgun section was very active. The General Discussion was very active. Now it all seems like very few new topics are discussed or presented, and some of the "old" guard have either moved on with their life or very rarely contribute.

Other sites were not moderated as well and were full of misinformation, wives tales, and outright lies and product shills. I always felt I could come here and get the honest lowdown on any product on the market and therefore make an informed purchase. I could always peruse the GD and learn things from many different perspectives. I'm not a big contributor or poster; I've always felt I was here to learn and didn't have the knowledge to add much value.

I don't know. Is something missing here or is it just me?

Feedback Score
    Forums in general have been dying for years, IME, and this one is no exception.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good SMEs have passed away and as people get older, life takes it turns and twists....

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    This forum has certainly seen a decline over the last 5 years in both traffic and technical knowledge. The EE used to be full of quality gear that was flying off the shelf, not any longer however. It's a bummer, as I love M4C. I'll say it doesn't seem unique to M4C though, as Blade Forums and Snipershide are experiencing something similar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Forums in general have been dying for years, IME, and this one is no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'll say it doesn't seem unique to M4C though, as Blade Forums and Snipershide are experiencing something similar.
    This ^

I think the height of firearm forums is over. There's nothing really new. A new rail? A Glock that's between the 17 and 34? AKs I think are pretty much dead. I know one forum that was popular between 2002-12 and now they get like 2 posts a month. I stopped going there around 2014.

Personally I don't get excited about new offerings anymore. Everything is kinda meh. I used to lust after a certain gun now couldn't care less. The new PDP is interesting but am interested enough to buy one + mags? Nope!

I also think covid shifted everyones priorities and overall view of things

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    This forum has certainly seen a decline over the last 5 years in both traffic and technical knowledge. The EE used to be full of quality gear that was flying off the shelf, not any longer however. It's a bummer, as I love M4C. I'll say it doesn't seem unique to M4C though, as Blade Forums and Snipershide are experiencing something similar.
    A possibility or 2 on EE stuff was when the internet and forums rolled around was also around the time a lot of (quality) surplus bolt guns, handguns, straight semi autos, demil full autos, and parts were plentiful...along with mil surp ammo and that carried on full steam till the Bush 2005 import rifle/barrel receiver ban and maybe 3/4 to 1/2 steam for about 10 years after that. For AR stuff specifically, it wasn't quite as wide open on cheap/high qyality, but I can recall buying nice A1 butts for less than $5 that got crazy expensive during the retro craze.

Another thing(based on a particular local pawn shop and gun shows) is people seem to be hanging on to stuff instead of selling or trading in. The pawn shop will take accessories(mags, holsters, spare parts) in on firearms trades and there were plenty up until earlier this year when the used/take off stuff started to dwindle. Gun shows are similar, with a lot of guys setting up selling stuff that is junk/flea market trinket type stuff or just not coming at all.

Feedback Score
    Forums by and large are mostly entertainment, and consist more of political/social discourse than weapons discussion, which is fine . Gun info? Anything really new under the sun? Also, the pro 2A types are largely fading away, in 5-7 years doubt any gun forums will exist. What can really be discussed? My version of glock (SIG, FN) is better than your version of glock (Walther, CZ)? 1911 vs 2011, my $2500 2011 is super cool .... seriously? Does it matter? Or my AR version/brand 'xyz' is better than your 'abc'? All more or less the same. Colt, FN, BCM, etc all the same...really.
    Training? A few "top tier" instructors have full classes of what maybe 12-15 students max? How many really proficient quality instructors are there nationwide ? Maybe 6-8? or 12 at most?
    Its not just gun forums, the entire firearms/training industry it seems is in decline. The etiology of which, is anyones guess; ranging from covid to the current administration to a hostile political landscape, to the price of tea in china. I enjoy reading the social/politico posts more than any gun related posts. Also, I would suspect the majority of forum patrons are 55+ if not older so the demographic is changing as well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Social media has had an impact, the end of GWOT has had an impact, I think forums generally are declining.

That said, our premier state firearm forum is just exploding (Carolina Firearms Forum). It's really great to see.

Feedback Score
    Love M4C. I’ve gained a ton of valuable knowledge from the various threads over the years. As the OP noted, I was here for others knowledge and rarely posted on technical discussions. I have / still do enjoy GD, however those threads are beginning to get too doom and gloom lately it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I also think part of the problem is a lot of people just aren’t shooting as much. I’ve got ammo but I don’t want to shoot what I can’t replace. I bought a 6.5CM like 7 weeks ago and still haven’t found ammo locally. They stuff online all seems to be $40+ a box.

It isn’t all that much fun to talk about guns you can’t afford or can find ammo to shoot.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast