Thread: Best Tanks from 1946 to Present

Feedback Score

Best Tanks from 1946 to Present

We had a discussion a few months back about the best tanks of WWII. I wanted to ask the same question for the Cold War and Modern Armor. This is purely based on your criteria and you are allowed to have several suggestions. Here are my votes.

1) M1 series tank: The U.S. M1 has been one of if not the top tank in the world for the past 40 years. It probably has the best combat record of any tank and in U.S. form with its advanced armor and ammunition is probably still the most powerful tank in the world. Readily upgradable and will probably be a premier tank for at least another 20 years.

2) British Centurion: Although designed towards the end of WW2, it really set the design for what a modern western MBT looks like. Excellent combat record and easily upgradable.

tied with

2) T-54/T-55: Although it has a marginal combat record, it is the most widely produced tank of all time with at least 80,000 built. Sometime the decisive action in modern warfare is simply having a tank and the T-54/55 probably has seen more combat than any other tank post WW2. Reliable and easy to use even by irregular forces.

3) Patton series (M60, M48, and lesser extent M47): These vehicles held the line in the Cold War with over 30,000 built (M60= 15,000, M48= 11,000, M47=8000). Derived from the late WW2 M26 Pershing. Reliable, easy to upgrade, and in M60 and M48 models did have superiority over comparable Soviet Tanks (T-62, T-54/T-55). Saw plenty of combat use and many thousands are still in active service world wide.

4) T-72: Think a modern T-54/T-55. Most widely produced modern tank (25,000+). Although out performed by the M1 and most of the modern Western tanks, still a dangerous vehicle and again widely exported and very upgradeable.

5) Leopard 2: Although hasn't seen the combat service that the other vehicles on the list, it is definately one of the best tanks in the world and has sort of defined what a modern tank has looks like.
    Last edited by crusader377; 09-27-21 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Can’t argue with T-54/55. That thing is everywhere and still running.

Feedback Score
    The Merkava. Perfectly designed for the type of fighting the Israeli's expect to do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Can’t argue with T-54/55. That thing is everywhere and still running.
    Yes, but they open like a can of highly flammable sardines when hit.

I was a Tanker for 21 years active duty and then a tech rep for GD for another 14 years. I started out my career on the M48/M60, deployed to Germany and was on M60A1 rise passive tanks, then M1's around 1983.
    The M1 is a great Tank, highly mobile and if maintained very reliable. When you bring in a new Tank it takes about five years to learn it's handling capabilities and maintenance reccomendations, but overall the transition was smooth.
    M60's were good Tanks, they just weren't as survivable as the M1. I breached a minefield with an M60 Marine Crew on my left, he hit a mine and two crewmen need to be evaced. I hit one and we did some maintenance to get moving again, but completed the minefield breech. It could have been pure luck, but when you need a medevac in a minefield, it gets sketchy. I have no idea how that ended, we kept moving forward.
    The M240 replaced the M219, there's a reason for that. I might have shot 500,000 rounds through a M240, I never had a stoppage with one that I maintained.
    The Night Vision capabilities have radically improved over the years, I stay impressed by it. Oddly enough, in it's inital design, the mounting for the TIS was slightly flawed and could have been mounted much better.
    The best track we ever had was on it initally, after that, well, they kind of cheaped out on the track. I think the "Overspeed" light came on at 44-46 mph. If you hit the "Reset" button on the DIP, you could get another perhaps 5 mph. If you drive like that, well, you better know how to maintain track.

I've shot a couple of Tanks over the years. An M47/48 is as stout or better than a T55. T55 or Type 59(?) pop the turret's quickly with HEAT. Sabot blows right through them.
    T55's may keep running forever, but the Gun Tubes wear a lot quicker than ours and almost everything you see out there is shot out.

Feedback Score
    I think it was the Chieftain Guy’s web page where I heard that the real ‘gun’ on a tank is the co-ax 7.62 gun, and the ‘main gun’ isn’t the ‘main gun’. Tanks run around machine gunning things and people more than going big booom. Granted, a 120mm round is great problem solver but I guess a lot of 7.62 holes works on a lot of things. Is that right?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I think it was the Chieftain Guy’s web page where I heard that the real ‘gun’ on a tank is the co-ax 7.62 gun, and the ‘main gun’ isn’t the ‘main gun’. Tanks run around machine gunning things and people more than going big booom. Granted, a 120mm round is great problem solver but I guess a lot of 7.62 holes works on a lot of things. Is that right?
    I think a good way to think about it is that a tank has flexibility of firepower to deal with a variety of targets. 7.62 will probably kill 70% of all the targets on the battlefield (dismounted infantry, unarmored vehicles, lightly constructed buildings). The .50 cal mounted on the turret probably can kill 85% of all likely targets on the battlefield. So it makes sense the machine guns would be used more. However, the tank does need its heavy direct fire firepower from its main gun to kill things most things can't plus its heavy armor.

Feedback Score
    I think the British Challenger series of tanks deserve the number two or tied for number 1 slot. They have an outstanding combat record.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can never bring enough 7.62 to a Tank.
    If your standing on boxes of it, thank your lucky stars.
    7.62 in MOUT really makes a differece. when you can lase to the target, it almost feels like "cheating". Any muzzle flash is really a "shoot me flag" against a Tank Platoon.