Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Device Shimming - How Much is Too Much

Feedback Score

Muzzle Device Shimming - How Much is Too Much

Doing a 13.7 build. I have a Wilson three prong I really like and want to use on this build. It is 1.99 inches. I would have to shim this thing .31 inches to make length. I've got about .62 worth of threads on the end of the barrel to play with. Advisable or no?

Feedback Score
    Your math isn’t working out. You’re looking to be about an inch short. You’re not taking into account the overlap.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Your math isn’t working out. You’re looking to be about an inch short. You’re not taking into account the overlap.
    .93 less the crush washer to be exact.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    .93 less the crush washer to be exact.

Feedback Score
    I actually am. The overall length of the muzzle device is 2.4 ish. Taking into account the overlap reduces the effective added length to 1.99 which also aligns with Wilson's spec.

Feedback Score
    1.99 + 13.7 = 15.69 leaving me .31 to shim

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    .31” is a lot of shim.
    I’d consider a different MD that would require minimal shim.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Too much for my preference. Look at the Surefire Closed Tine as an option or the Closed Tine Warcomp version. Might get you there.

I had a 14.5 barrel cut down and the closed time Warcomp pin and welded on. Can’t remember how much he cut off to make it 16” overall. I think it was at least a 1/2” that was cut off.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. You guys are confirming what I suspected to be the case. I do like the NOX but will also check out those suggested. Stupid NFA.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get a shim piece that size and see how it looks and how the thread engagement feels. I’ve stacked three crush washers to get the look I needed for pics, and then fired it. No longer term info, but there really wasn’t a need in my case.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast