Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Device Shimming - How Much is Too Much

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Get a shim piece that size and see how it looks and how the thread engagement feels. I’ve stacked three crush washers to get the look I needed for pics, and then fired it. No longer term info, but there really wasn’t a need in my case.
    One of my ideas was to cut an aluminum spacer to .31" and then put the crush washer on top of that and time it. I'm going to have to pin and weld it anyway so........ Or I could just stop being a cheap ass and spend the hundy on a NOX.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really like my WC three prong, I wish I had a pile of them. However, the real one I wish I had more of is the BE Meyers M249F, thats my favorite extended beast.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I wish they still made the M249F. Or any other alternative for that matter. I have the WC on a 10.5 inch gun now and really like it. And for the price they are dam hard to beat too. However the 10.5 is destined for a can so going to pull the WC off of that one and try and put it on this 13.7 if I can make it work. This is an "I found a barrel on sale so why not try it" build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I wish they still made the M249F. Or any other alternative for that matter. I have the WC on a 10.5 inch gun now and really like it. And for the price they are dam hard to beat too. However the 10.5 is destined for a can so going to pull the WC off of that one and try and put it on this 13.7 if I can make it work. This is an "I found a barrel on sale so why not try it" build.
    BE Meyers sold their technology to JP, as far as I can tell this is the new M249F. But I don't know when it was introduced, nor have I ever used it to compare with my existing M249F. The M249F is my favorite as well, but alas I only have one.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFH-556L
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-29-21 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    BE Meyers sold their technology to JP, as far as I can tell this is the new M249F. But I don't know when it was introduced, nor have I ever used it to compare with my existing M249F. The M249F is my favorite as well, but alas I only have one.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFH-556L
    Only $60 to boot! Supposed to be the most effective flash hider on the market, according to that big TTAG test they did a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    Lots of options to consider here. Thanks Gents.

Feedback Score
    When I was figuring out my situation I ended up purchasing one of these. https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...-2-28-jam-nut/

Decided on not using it after doing some research. Can’t remember all of the reasons I found to not use it but they were something like strength, as the muzzle device isn’t biting on as many threads, and maybe accuracy. . There was nothing I remember that was grave about doing it. I just decided to error on the side of caution.

Feedback Score
    does drastically gapping out a muzzle device from the crown not adversely affect ballistics? seems like a third of an inch of bare thread and gap between the crown and the muzzle device would be an invitation for walking zero, over many rounds.. but it's not something ive researched or heard many opinions on. i guess because nobody gaps their muzzle devices out a third of an inch...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman William View Post
    does drastically gapping out a muzzle device from the crown not adversely affect ballistics? seems like a third of an inch of bare thread and gap between the crown and the muzzle device would be an invitation for walking zero, over many rounds.. but it's not something ive researched or heard many opinions on. i guess because nobody gaps their muzzle devices out a third of an inch...
    I would think there is a natural gap between the inside of the muzzle device bore and the crown. If not you would be timing the device against the crown which could damage it (instead of against the crush washer.) Not sure on what, if any, impact increasing that gap could have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    When I was figuring out my situation I ended up purchasing one of these. https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...-2-28-jam-nut/

Decided on not using it after doing some research. Can’t remember all of the reasons I found to not use it but they were something like strength, as the muzzle device isn’t biting on as many threads, and maybe accuracy. . There was nothing I remember that was grave about doing it. I just decided to error on the side of caution.
    I understand the concept, but like you, don't think I like that for a muzzle device. What's to keep the jam nut from working it's way loose?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast