Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the consensus on gas tubes that restrict flow?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What's the consensus on gas tubes that restrict flow?

I have a Mk18 that's pretty gassy suppressed. I don't want to put an adjustable on it, and want to change out the carrier even less. I've heard of some gas tubes that have a smaller hole, but I'm not sure where to find them or if they're a good idea or not.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I have a Mk18 that's pretty gassy suppressed. I don't want to put an adjustable on it, and want to change out the carrier even less. I've heard of some gas tubes that have a smaller hole, but I'm not sure where to find them or if they're a good idea or not.
    You can find them at Black River Tactical. I have not used one of the tubes, so cannot comment on them. I can say I have found BRT products to be uniformly high quality.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-28-21 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I can tell you where to find them, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://blackrivertactical.com/

I actually have the opposite experience with my MK18; it's gassed perfectly for its intended role (5.56 with a suppressor), but with .223 and no suppressor it's pretty anemically gassed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Well I can tell you where to find them, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://blackrivertactical.com/

I actually have the opposite experience with my MK18; it's gassed perfectly for its intended role (5.56 with a suppressor), but with .223 and no suppressor it's pretty anemically gassed.
    Mine with no silencer is picky about locking back with .223. It will lock back on lancer 20 rounders, but not with Okay milspec mags. With the silencer, it will lock back with anything even running an H3 buffer. It has a .07 gas port.

If you have a DD, it might have a smaller port. I heard something about them reducing the gas port size to under milspec on theirs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Mine with no silencer is picky about locking back with .223. It will lock back on lancer 20 rounders, but not with Okay milspec mags. With the silencer, it will lock back with anything even running an H3 buffer. It has a .07 gas port.

If you have a DD, it might have a smaller port. I heard something about them reducing the gas port size to under milspec on theirs.
    You're spot on. It's a newer DD with a 0.070" gas port. It locks back on my .223 reloads at the indoor range, but in colder temps it only locks back with 5.56 (and even then, ejection is sluggish). My HD load is 5.56x45mm Hornady SBR, so I'm not too concerned, but it's slightly annoying that it doesn't "like" one of my favorite .223 handloads.

No suppressors allowed here in IL, but it's at the top of my list when I get the hell out of this state.

It probably doesn't help that the gun has a Law folder (2.3 oz extra weight for the adapter plug), but I've tried all manner of buffers before settling on a VLTOR A5H0 and a standard power rifle spring.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've also found BRT products to be excellent, and have used their has tubes to adjust gas flow. I found they worked exactly as advertised. In a different thread, one was used 5,000 rounds suppressed without issue.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There’s a two-year old thread in technical that I posted in two weeks ago. It might still be close to the top.

I like them.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I use three BRT gabs tubes in overgassed BCM Barrels; 2 - 11.5” and a 14.5”.
    Mine are unsuppressed but there’s a noticeable difference in recoil impulse with the BRT Tube.
    A range bud runs one with his Suppressed mk 18 and it tamed his overgassed issue.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They work as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Our tubes work and they're easy.

Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...TUNE-Gas-Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    There’s a two-year old thread in technical that I posted in two weeks ago. It might still be close to the top.

I like them.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast