Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting over post 40

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Starting over post 40

So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.
    Yes, I have.
    I finished a career inthe Military and was teaching HS locally. 9/11 happened and I dropped out of teaching and went in to Defence Contracting.
    As with anything, as I learn I want to do more and before long I was a "Tech Rep" for units and was embedded in units deploying overseas. 14 1/2 years later, I was done. I was physically worn out and mentally broken, you simply can't please two Masters.
    I retired with enough cash in my 401 K to pay everything off, retire and live boringly ever after with a healthy bank account.
    I do nothing that I don't want to do anymore, if I want to go to the range, or take a trip or just putter around the house.

It's actually pretty boring.

Feedback Score
    I never have (turn 40 in October), but if the job is affecting mental and physical health I would say go for it. Only one life to live and being happy and healthy should be a top priority. Having some money set aside to do this like you said you did will greatly reduce the amount of stress

I don't know what you do now, but have you considered other careers yet? Would you consider going back to school for something completely different, or would your current experience crossover to another field you think you would enjoy?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having the money set aside is key.
    All of mine kind of fell together at the right time and although I was lucky, I had been planning for this for some time.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    This is where I'm at as well. Lots of factors playing into my current mindset, but I've been thinking about "time" so much this past year. I'm 45 and can feel the clock ticking more than ever - that sense of urgency to rearrange priorities in my life.

I don't have any answers yet but I'll be following here to see what other wise folks have to share about their experience.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yes. Left EMS, left the military, went into nursing. When my youngest child is out of the house I can technically retire, but at age 62 I will be reinventing myself again as my wife and I have a business plan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was in a lucky position.
    Turn the Clock back and I had just bought a House, Retired from the Army and started Teaching. When I became a Contractor, a 401K became available and I was able to dump about 30% of my salary back in to my 401K and not be effected.
    That stacks up quick and I kept an eye on it.
    So when I reached my limit, I could step off.
    I was paid to be an instructor and a troubleshooter. My own need to fix things ruined the job for me. The final straw was getting a call at Church to come in and fixed some injectors. I went in, no one was there, I fixed it, put everything back together and no one from the unit touched the vehicle for the next two weeks. So all of that was for naught.
    Stuff like that gets to me.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I retired from the miitary at 40 and started my current job, so yes I have. As long as you have some savings to tide you through, you should be ok. My advice is always find a new job while you are still working the current one.

Andy

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    It can absolutely be done.

I'm in my 30s and working on my Bachelor's. There are plenty of students who are older and either working toward a completely different career or are taking the steps to advance further. I've committed full-stop to going to Med School and will be in my 40s by the time school and Residency are knocked out.

It's never too late. Have a plan and finances in order and make it happen.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    It can absolutely be done.

I'm in my 30s and working on my Bachelor's. There are plenty of students who are older and either working toward a completely different career or are taking the steps to advance further. I've committed full-stop to going to Med School and will be in my 40s by the time school and Residency are knocked out.

It's never too late. Have a plan and finances in order and make it happen.
    As the wise philosopher Sinatra said, "regrets, I have a few, then again, too few to mention..."

I have a friend who was an ED doc at UNC-CH and chair of admissions at their SOM. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, the debate was nursing vs med school. He said based on my MCAT and GPA he could get me into med school easy peasy. I chose nursing (age, kids, couple of other factors). I mostly don't regret it, but sometimes I do. Good luck!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast