Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting over post 40

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.
    at 43 my whole life was cut off from the path I was taken do to sulfur dioxide poison that got me destroyed my lungs for a bit had to move away etc... and truly threw me off my path as not only my passion and work went but my health did to !!!
    and onto one I had no control over being out of control sucks so if something happened and you were forced trust me that forced eats at you vs when I had made the decision to change paths ! that was the best ever !

I never get to hung up on the shoulda coulda woulda things though

but NOW at 58 I am facing the same thing outside crap covid (20 months ago or so) that has radically changed the direction and destroyed my path so twice now forced into something else !

again the time I chose and was in control of walking away from a business I created causing me health issues stress etc... was glad I did took a HUGE hit in what I made but was worth it as I know you can't take anything with you and health and life experience are priceless !
    Last edited by Honu; 09-29-21 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did it around age 43. Found myself dreading the idea of going back to my job every Monday. No way to live. I took less pay and learned to do with less. It was worth it. I'm at my second position since leaving, and am back to a livable income.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I retired from the miitary at 40 and started my current job, so yes I have. As long as you have some savings to tide you through, you should be ok. My advice is always find a new job while you are still working the current one.

Andy
    That's almost always the key. You're much more viable when you are currently working.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Your a strong stable dude, you'll do great. Hope it goes well for you.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm in a similar situation. Got laid of last spring due to Covid. Was a blessing because my back is not great and fixing cars made it worse. VA is paying me to go back to school. I'm studying business management. Hope to work for myself someday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm 39 and currently in the process right now. I was a corrections officer for 10 years . The combination of the flip flopping schedule and the political b/s was taking quite a toll on me. It's funny b/c most days, the inmates weren't even the problem, it was mgmt. Anyhow, I wasn't in a good spot mentally or physically. When it comes down to it, you can't really put a price on those things, so it was time to move on.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks guys (and gals?)

Just a bit of apprehension going forward with no clear path. But I do have some options on the table thanks to my exceptional lady-friend.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Thanks guys (and gals?)

Just a bit of apprehension going forward with no clear path. But I do have some options on the table thanks to my exceptional lady-friend.
    Did you submit your resignation today?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.
    I retired from an LEO career after 20 years and went back to school. I attended a coding boot camp and have been in that industry for a few years now. MUCH better job, easier, less stress, and MORE money.

Good luck on your journey, friend.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    I’m in that transition right now as well. I’ve been on the fence about leaving my job for a few years now. Started a post on that on this site a few years ago actually. At that time I was passed up for a promotion. I applied to my town’s police force; made it through the written test, physical test, and interview but ended up withdrawing my name from consideration. Realized the timing wasn’t right then and I was making a decision based on anger.

Fast forward to today and the wife and I have decided its time to move on from here for good. The job situation is unchanged. I make good money but I dred coming to work everyday. Now coupled with the fact the state I live in as well as both our places of employment have gone full re**** on covid we’ve decided it’s time to finally move on.

We are meeting with a realtor Saturday to list our house. We have zero debt outside of our current mortgage and plenty of money in the bank. Going to crash at my parents place until the school year is over so our kids don’t have to transfer mid year and then we’re out of here.

I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast