Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting over post 40

Feedback Score
    Several years ago I was involved in an (almost fatal) motorcycle accident, multiple fractures, out of work almost 4 months while recuperating from my injuries. This was when I had an epiphany, not going back to work full-time, ever! Life is way to short to be 'on call', work weekends, work holidays, work stupid hours, miss family events, etc. This was 15 years ago. So I transitioned to another specialty, more admin stuff, doing reviews, consults, 4-5 hours/day 2-3 days /week, just enough work to be active, have a sense of fulfillment, earn some income and plenty of free time to hike, read, cycle, shoot, travel, fish, exercise, kayak and take naps !
    Make that change for the better, the mental health benefit is well worth it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Did you submit your resignation today?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?". Funny thing? One of my corporate contacts told me about a position he'd been eyeballing me for in business development and tried to move on several months ago. Apparently, my boss had been sitting on trying to find my replacement until after football season even though there was sufficient time (like back in May timeframe) to find the replacement prior to starting the season. Which, of course, "after football" would turn into after basketball season and then after the spring football and graduations and then the PGA tournament... so on and so forth. I.E. he was never going to look since we are perpetually busy.

Not only that, I'd still be stuck doing exactly what I've been doing for the last 15 months like some insane Groundhog Day.

It'll be a chilly two weeks, but I really don't care. At this point, I'm perfectly okay with moving forward and starting over. I was apprehensive, but my lady-friend and I talked it over last night and we both recognize the need for me to move on even if I do take a serious pay cut.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    I'd have something new lined up before resigning the current job.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?". Funny thing? One of my corporate contacts told me about a position he'd been eyeballing me for in business development and tried to move on several months ago. Apparently, my boss had been sitting on trying to find my replacement until after football season even though there was sufficient time (like back in May timeframe) to find the replacement prior to starting the season. Which, of course, "after football" would turn into after basketball season and then after the spring football and graduations and then the PGA tournament... so on and so forth. I.E. he was never going to look since we are perpetually busy.

Not only that, I'd still be stuck doing exactly what I've been doing for the last 15 months like some insane Groundhog Day.

It'll be a chilly two weeks, but I really don't care. At this point, I'm perfectly okay with moving forward and starting over. I was apprehensive, but my lady-friend and I talked it over last night and we both recognize the need for me to move on even if I do take a serious pay cut.
    I had a great boss once when I was a supervisor, and he gave me three key pieces of leadership advice. One, the job was there before you, it'll be there after you. Two, people come and go. Three, people leave for a variety of reasons. Don't be one of those reasons.

As soon as I hear things like managers saying "you're abandoning the company" or "we need you" that is exactly the time to run, not walk, away.

Generally I do agree that it's better to leave in a position of strength when you have another job, but sometimes you just can't do it that way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    That sounds like a very comfortable trap to fall in to.
    If your job is ruining your health, drop whatever your holding and walk to the exit.
    No Job is Worth your Health.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    Unless you are ready to commit suicide before returning to the current job. I walked away to dissuade myself from that.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?"..
    Institutions do not care about you. Period. The 'company' would have abandoned you if it was in their best interest.
    Everyone is replaceable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Institutions do not care about you. Period. The 'company' would have abandoned you if it was in their best interest.
    Everyone is replaceable.
    Absolutely, my friend. "to thine OWN self be true".

And NOTHING is impossible to a determined mind.

Keep pushing forward!
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.
    If you want to move to West TN, I can pretty much guarantee you a job at either my company or my wife's company. We are hurting for everything from line workers to Quality Engineers.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Starting over post 40

I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?".
    The oldest trick in the book. Shift blame back to the employee.

“Abandoning the company”
    Means they were most likely taking you for granted and were unprepared to fill your position so it’s your fault.

“Need you the most”
    They really mean “It’s going to cost money to replace you”

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I had a great boss once when I was a supervisor, and he gave me three key pieces of leadership advice. One, the job was there before you, it'll be there after you. Two, people come and go. Three, people leave for a variety of reasons. Don't be one of those reasons.
    Words to live by.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast