Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foundation miniseries on Apple

Feedback Score

Foundation miniseries on Apple

Anyone watching this? Watching the third episode right now, and I’m not thrilled. If he didn’t have Isaac Asimov‘s name attached to it I was given up along time ago. My wife watched the trailer and from the start and said she was out. I’m starting to think he’s right.

Not much violence. Side boob at best for nudity. No hot chicks. A premise based on math.

Hopefully the new Dune will be better.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 10-01-21 at 14:45.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did you enjoy the Foundation trilogy?

Feedback Score
    Didn’t read it. If Movies have to rely on people having had read the book, we wouldn’t have Star Wars.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 10-01-21 at 15:38.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

Foundation miniseries on Apple

I read all of the Foundation books and I really enjoyed them. I also read the Robot series of books as well. I haven’t watched the TV series I don’t know if I ever will.

Asimov wrote more Foundation books as well. I also read book four, “Foundation’s Edge” and book 5, “Foundation and Earth”. I have also read, “Prelude to Foundation” where it covers Hari Seldon’s psychohistory papers.
    Last edited by Tony617; 10-02-21 at 01:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've watched two episodes. Beautiful cinematography. Story pace is slow and ponderous. I felt it was more cinematic Dune than Asimov's Foundation.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I've watched two episodes. Beautiful cinematography. Story pace is slow and ponderous. I felt it was more cinematic Dune than Asimov's Foundation.
    Read some internet chatter about the director being told to focus on the female characters. How woke is it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    Read some internet chatter about the director being told to focus on the female characters. How woke is it?
    Now that you mention it, they do have some focus on the girls. Of course, there is ‘Empire’ with the ultimate narcissistic move of having your clone take over in place of a son.

I would say that I’m usually pretty senstative to the woke BS, and it isn’t striking me that way. Sure in retrospect, a math genius and the game warden being women is a bit odd, but I’d say that they develop the characters well enough that it actually doesn’t strike you as odd.

Slow and ponderosa only is an issue if the character development isn’t suitable to carry the show. I’d argue that in a story where the inherent plot line is hundreds if not thousands of years long, that characters inherently will play a secondary role to plot and concepts. In that way, the show is failing.

Yes, visually stunning. Conceptually intriguing- what if we do have free-will, but in the grand scheme of all of us interacting, it doesn’t matter- the end is going to be the same no matter what we do. Or that is what I’m taking away.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Sure in retrospect, a math genius and the game warden being women is a bit odd, but I’d say that they develop the characters well enough that it actually doesn’t strike you as odd.
    Did they replace Hari Seldon with a woman or are you referring to someone else?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Hari is a dude. His protégée is a Woman of Color. But like I said. It didn’t strike me as a partisan push like Disney does.

I don’t know how many seasons and how many episodes are planned, but I better get this crap moving. I’m not looking for Raiders of the lost Ark or Star Wars here, but I don’t have a compelling reason to wait for Fridays to come to watch this.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    In the book, Gaal, the mathematician Seldon hires and brings to Trantor for is male. In the show, Gaal is a female mathematician who Seldon brings to Trantor because she won a math contest.

I’d like to add, the costuming is uniformly ugly. It’s like the fashion designers of the Empire are trying to make drab glamorous.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast