Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zeroing Colt pencil barrel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Same test.

Faxon(not much if any shift due to heat) vs. Colt SP1(fair amount of zero shift due to heat).

Small/single samples and all that good stuff.

Curious what your newer(I assume) Colt barrel does when hot.
    Stress relief makes a difference heat related zero shift, as does barrel length.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Stress relief makes a difference heat related zero shift, as does barrel length.
    Curious what Faxon means when they say 'stress relief' because their groups looked like crap hot or cold.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Curious what Faxon means when they say 'stress relief' because their groups looked like crap hot or cold.
    Well, at least they were consistent.

Feedback Score
    Well, at least they were consistent.
    Funny as it may be - you are correct sir. They were 'consistent' groups.

I watched a bunch of the Faxon Q&A videos and from those guys and the stress relief thing came up frequently but never any details about what kind of stress relieving they were doing and if they were doing it 'in-house' or sending stuff out or what. Very vague on any details.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Funny as it may be - you are correct sir. They were 'consistent' groups.

I watched a bunch of the Faxon Q&A videos and from those guys and the stress relief thing came up frequently but never any details about what kind of stress relieving they were doing and if they were doing it 'in-house' or sending stuff out or what. Very vague on any details.
    From what I read, the process is relatively straightforward. The barrels are heated to 1000 degrees in a vacuum and then allowed to cool slowly.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    From what I read, the process is relatively straightforward. The barrels are heated to 1000 degrees in a vacuum and then allowed to cool slowly.
    Pertaining to Faxon or 'in general' sort of terms?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pertaining to Faxon or 'in general' sort of terms?
    In general. I have no information on their process, but I assume based on the straightforward nature of the process, that they probably have their own vacuum oven.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    In general. I have no information on their process, but I assume based on the straightforward nature of the process, that they probably have their own vacuum oven.

The Colt barrel on top was done by the nice lady at Cryo Plus. The bottom one was done by Diversified Cryogenics.

Sometimes you can slip a barrel in with some tools / cutters and the receipt will look like it was all for business stuff.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Goofy test protocol.

Two different rifles, two different sighting systems, two different barrel lengths (free-floated), with two different shooters. No telling if the triggers were different, either.

Add in a completely new and different SP-1, probably with a GI trigger, non-free floated, over a shit front rest.

... and I'm supposed to consider the results a close, valid test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Zeroing is the same with any barrel. It's either center of mass or center of mess depending on the quality of barrel and ammunition.
    Train 2 Win

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123