Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 12.5 range

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I've never shot anyone or even shot in their general direction. I'm not any kind of expert on the subject. But I've seen more than a few deer shot. The ones where the bullet passed through killed better than bullets that stayed in the body. Except bullets that exploded in the chest with such violence the heart & lungs were turned to mush.

I do understand the philosophy of not wanting a bullet to exit a human body and hitting a bystander. However, what I've seen first hand has me questioning the validity of "energy dump".
    There's no validity to question, it's simple physics. If the projectile has sufficient energy to pass through then it clearly did not "use" all it's energy while inside the target. Making it more energy efficient and likely less effective than a round that remains inside the target. If you have a projectile with enough energy then the amount deposited may be more than sufficient to be lethal while also retaining enough for a pass through. Something like 338 Lapua or 50 BMG for example.

There's no doubt a 5.56 round passing through your spine or splitting the ribs and passing through the heart would fall into the same category.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Consider a broadhead that passes through versus a blunt arrow that does not, both arriving on target with the same energy. Energy is potential; the specific work done by it matters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Consider a broadhead that passes through versus a blunt arrow that does not, both arriving on target with the same energy. Energy is potential; the specific work done by it matters.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. While a blunt is good for taking down small game, it's terrible for taking down medium and large game. A broad head doesn't dump it's energy into the body, the blades cut a larger wound channel and kills by bleeding. Broadheads that exit the body does more tissue damage.

My thoughts are a bullet that stays in the body is losing velocity until it comes to rest. The slower the bullet is going, the less tissue stretch it creates. In theory, stretching the tissue all the way through the body causes more damage.

A deep penetrating bullet is at one extreme. At the other is the bullet that blows up on the surface. Complete energy dump but none of it reaches the vitals. Same with using fine birdshot compared to buckshot or slugs. Payload weight and velocity is about the same for all three. Fine birdshot and buckshot both dump all their energy in the body, but the terminal performance of birdshot is terrible because it often doesn't reach the vitals. Buckshot is very effective because it has deeper penetration. I don't know if slugs over penetrate or not, but they're very effectives as well.

The answer is either energy dump isn't really a thing, or there's far more going on than just energy dump.

Again, I'm no expert. But I know (anecdotally only) that when it comes to killing animals, a through and through is more effective. How much more depends on the wound channel created.

Note: This assumes we understand shot placement is key.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910