Thread: AK optic ta44 or ta50

Feedback Score

AK optic ta44 or ta50

Recently got a ta44 1.5x for my 14.5 p&w ak47. Thinking maybe 3x would give me more capability. Which would you choose?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Double Post
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 10-07-21 at 08:01.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    After Mrgunsngear’s review of the TA44 with ACSS reticle that is number one on my drool list. It’s the plan for my 10” 7.62x39 Banshee when it arrives. Now week 22 of waiting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_2ROeq9dc
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 10-07-21 at 08:01.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it all depends what you want to do with your gun and perhaps to some extent the terrain where you are likely to employ it

Feedback Score
    I'd choose neither model that you have listed. I have an ACSS reticle TA44 on my 11.5" Bushmaster SBR that has a fixed carry handle. I got it specifically because it mounts down in the carry handle. The eye relief is good, but the reticle is so small that the details are virtually impossible to perceive and make useful. You'd be just as well off with the circle dot reticle that Trijicon offers on their regular line of TA44's. In addition, the ACSS reticle is calibrated for 5.56x45, not 7.62x39. There's no real point in having graduation marks if they're not accurate.

I do agree that you'd be better off with a 3X. Both the TA50 and TA33 are offered with 7.62x39 reticles. I've never used a TA50, but given that the eye relief is shorter than of a TA31 (4X model), I wouldn't get recommend it. I certainly wouldn't purchase a TA50 without trying the eye relief for myself. I know Trijicon lists the eye relief difference between the TA31 and TA33 as only 0.4", but in practical use it's so much more than that. It's about how much flexibility you have to go closer and further from the scope. The longer eye relief Trijicons are just so much more forgiving. All that said, I'd recommend getting a TA33 with a 7.62x39 reticle. I have them on my Sig 553R, CZ Bren 2Ms and will be putting one on my Robinson XCR when it gets out of jail. The TA33 gives you a good amount of usable magnification, a decent field of view and is eye relief friendly. Of course the downside to the TA33 is that it's bigger and heavier than the TA50, but it's not big and heavy.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Thanks Bret. I don’t know why I thought I could get the ACSS in 7.62x39. I’ll probably just mount my spare MRO.

O.P. I do like my TA33 5.56 for all the reasons Bret stated. Like the TA11 the eye relief is much longer than the specs.

Feedback Score
    I read somewhere that Trijicon isn't currently making the ACSS ACOG's.

Feedback Score
    I have a TA44 that I love, and want a TA50

Feedback Score
    I tried the TA44 with the ACS reticle and that center chevron was a bit too small for my eves (a lot of times it appeared more like a dot than a chevron). I switched to the TA50 with crosshair reticle with which I have no complaints at all. Unfortunately, reflex sight no longer works to well with my aging eyes.