Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Shopping I Am Stuck

Feedback Score

AR Shopping I Am Stuck

So I want to get a new AR. I have 1 AR now...a Colt 6920 ( pictured here)F4B203BB-5C16-41F6-AEE8-C9BD7D2D2654_1_201_a.jpg486C7055-07AD-4D25-AC12-C2B78DE03F9D_1_201_a.jpgD98EF722-3CAC-475B-AC49-2F1EF576C174_1_201_a.jpg I the Colt bought new about 10 years ago. I put a Geissele trigger in it, Vltor stock, Eotech and DD RISI-II rail for front sight post. It's been a perfect operating rifle. I will keep it forever.

I want a mid-length 16" top tier rifle. I had a Knights SR15 Mod 0 for years that was awesome but sold it locally to a good friend. Now I want to get something else, DI, Mid-Length, no proprietary parts. Locally a couple of my stores have Geissele Super Duty and Daniel Defense for top tier AR's. There is also FN, Wilson, Colt, POF, Black Rain, Sig, S&W, Springfield etc for other AR's in stock.

I believe I have narrowed it down to the Geissele Super Duty or Daniel Defense DDM$ V7 but I am stuck on a decision.

I love the Geissele due to trigger, furniture an options. I am interested in the Daniel Defense but I would replace the trigger. Trigger upgrade on the DD would make it the same price as the Geissele Super Duty.... around $2100. Price isn't so much an issue...100 here or there just want to get the better DI rifle.

I keep hearing that the Daniel Defense rifle has a great barrel. How is the Geissele barrel compared? If I replace the trigger in the DD rifle would that make it an overall better rifle due to any parts on the Daniel Defense rifle being better? I don't mind the DD stock and I love the DD hand guard.

On an other note...the 2 POF rifles looked really really nice, felt great...if I was getting a piston rifle but I know nothing about or really heard of POF before.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have also been toying with the idea of another premium AR, and I also narrowed it down to the DD V7 and the Geissele SD. As an FYI, the Geissele SD can be had for $1700 or under if you shop around. Even going for that price on Gunbroker.

I think I'm leaning towards the Geissele for a few different reasons, and what's important to me, may be a non factor for others. But the SD comes with a premium trigger and an enhanced BCG, whereas the DD is all mil-spec in that department. Furthermore, the SD's finish is hard anodized instead of the higher wear Cerakote used by DD.

Feedback Score
    The trigger is important to me...and barrel quality. I didn't know the difference in the finishes though...good point!

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I have also been toying with the idea of another premium AR, and I also narrowed it down to the DD V7 and the Geissele SD. As an FYI, the Geissele SD can be had for $1700 or under if you shop around. Even going for that price on Gunbroker.

I think I'm leaning towards the Geissele for a few different reasons, and what's important to me, may be a non factor for others. But the SD comes with a premium trigger and an enhanced BCG, whereas the DD is all mil-spec in that department. Furthermore, the SD's finish is hard anodized instead of the higher wear Cerakote used by DD.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Give this one a look see as well:

https://centurionarms.com/firearms/recce-rifle/

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would prioritize by track record, which tips the scales towards Daniel Defense. Just my .02c.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    The trigger is important to me...and barrel quality. I didn't know the difference in the finishes though...good point!
    The barrels, on paper at least, seem to be very similar. Both hammer forged and chrome lined (Geissele also offers the nitrided versions, so make sure you're looking at the right one), but DD has an established reputation for accuracy, whereas Geissele is still relatively new to the market. One ding I would give Geissele is that their chrome lined barrels aren't phosphated on the outside, but rather they use a black oxide finish which isn't supposed to be as corrosion resistant.

I've a black oxide coated barrel from another manufacturer for about a decade and have never seen even a hint of rust on it. Even when I found some light rust on the muzzle brake attached to it. So there's that.

ETA: Another plus for the Geissele is the enhanced lower parts kit and the nice ambi charging handle. FWIW.
    Last edited by georgeib; 10-07-21 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Give this one a look see as well:

https://centurionarms.com/firearms/recce-rifle/
    Thanks but says out of stock.

I’ve never ordered a rifle. I guess I’d need to figure out a ffl near me and contact them about shipping to them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    Thanks but says out of stock.

I’ve never ordered a rifle. I guess I’d need to figure out a ffl near me and contact them about shipping to them?
    Exactly. The FFL will likely charge a small fee, no more than $50. $35 is more normal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buy a Colt.
    Pull the barrel and sell it.
    Use the money to buy a BRT barrel.
    Install the trigger of choice.
    Handguards, grip & stock according to taste.
    Top with your favorite optic.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-07-21 at 23:25.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Buy a Colt.
    Pull the barrel and sell it.
    Use the money to buy a BRT barrel.
    Install the trigger of choice.
    Handguards, grip & stock according to taste.
    Top with your favorite optic.
    Being used to my choice of parts I didn't like any of the previous recommendations until I saw this one. Easy path to a solid "custom" build.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast