Thread: AR Shopping I Am Stuck

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Buy a Colt.
    Pull the barrel and sell it.
    Use the money to buy a BRT barrel.
    Install the trigger of choice.
    Handguards, grip & stock according to taste.
    Top with your favorite optic.
    OP, I strongly recommend this if you're willing to choose your parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    Thanks but says out of stock.

I’ve never ordered a rifle. I guess I’d need to figure out a ffl near me and contact them about shipping to them?
    A lot of online retailers have a FFL lookup of all the FFL's in your area that they have on file to transfer the firearm to.
    Gunbroker also has a good search tool to find on in your area.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Buy a Colt.
    Curious as to why you would recommend replacing the Colt barrel. They seem to have excellent reputations for reliability and accuracy.

Feedback Score
    1- I already have a Colt and the barrel in it is just fine

2- I am not looking to build a rifle

3- I am currently building a rifle out of an extra Colt upper receiver I have with a Aero lower....deciding on 14.5 w/ brace or Form1 or 16"

4- I am just wanting to go over to my local store and get either a Daniel Defense or Geissele they have in stock....

Parts wise on these 2 FACTORY rifles I lean to the Geissele Super Duty but I do not know anything about the Geissele barrel. I looked at a Geissele at a different store here in Tampa late yesterday and the coating on the outside of the barrel is somewhat shiny and nothing like the coating on the Colt I own.

Feedback Score
    Except he already bought a Colt and did almost all of that to it. I think he wants something different.

If the decision is between the DD and the G, I would opt for the G. That is only based on personal preference. I hate the DD furniture and, like you said, the trigger is crap. And the ambi lower on the G is nice. I think you get more for your money feature wise with the G.

Now if you are opening up your scope, Sionics, BCM, Centurion all deserve a look too. My next will be a Centurion. And I dont mind waiting until they come back in stock.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Out of those two, I would go with Daniel Defense.

Feedback Score
    So I am at the store now... went over to shoot at the range on my lunch break. The Daniel Defense rail is much nicer, seems more sturdy...that and long with the barrel is suppose to be nicer too. The DD is $300'ish cheaper...price is not an issue bt I can drop in a Geissele trigger into the Daniel Defense and be good to go for same price as Geissele. I do not my the DD stock and grip and have no opinion on how it works because I haven't shot with it or lived with the DD stock and grip yet.

Feedback Score
    Buy a Colt.

I bought one of the 6920 OEM's a couple years ago for like $600 or thereabouts. Pulled the barrel and replaced it with a $425 Hodge Defense 14.5" one (CHF, chrome lined, supposedly made by FN specifically for Hodge). Replaced the BCG with a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black BCG and threw the Colt in my spare parts collection. Got a Bravo Co. MCMR handguard, Geissele SD-C trigger, and had a Bravo Co. extended A2 FH pinned and welded. Put a Steiner 1-4X P4Xi LPVO on it. Now it costs a HELL of a lot more than the ~$600 I paid for the base weapon! (It's a disease, I know)

Gave my buddy the Colt barrel in return for putting it together and Duracoating the entire weapon.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Curious as to why you would recommend replacing the Colt barrel. They seem to have excellent reputations for reliability and accuracy.
    Because
    I want a mid-length 16" top tier rifle.
    The 6920 doesn't come with a 16 inch middy. Otherwise, the original 6920 barrel is perfectly fine.

I bought a 6920 OEM, sold the 16 inch carbine barrel and used the money to buy a Colt 14.5 inch barrel pinned to 16 because I like it better.

So I want to get a new AR. I have 1 AR now...a Colt 6920...
    Obviously, it's not configured they way you want your new AR to be. Doesn't mean you can't buy another and reconfigure it with the barrel, trigger and furniture you want.

I love the Geissele due to trigger, furniture an options. I am interested in the Daniel Defense but I would replace the trigger. Trigger upgrade on the DD would make it the same price as the Geissele Super Duty.... around $2100. Price isn't so much an issue...100 here or there just want to get the better DI rifle.
    I bet if you price it out, reconfiguring a new Colt will give you more bang for the buck.

I think $2100 is a bit much for a G AR. At that price, I'd spend a bit more for a KAC. Used and new, they keep going up in price. But I do get it- the heart wants what it wants.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

I think $2100 is a bit much for a G AR. At that price, I'd spend a bit more for a KAC. Used and new, they keep going up in price. But I do get it- the heart wants what it wants.
    I agree…2100 is too much. I had a Knights, mentioned that in my post but sold if a while ago… few years. It was nice but I wanted something that doesn’t have proprietary parts. Knights bolts lugs and chamber are proprietary.

I ended up getting the DD rifle today. It was 1649…I added a G ssa-e trigger and still was less with tax than the G they had in stock at 2249.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast